Husky

I Read about a plastic sealer...

On another site I read about using an innovative way to seal plugs. It consists of dissolving plastic i.e. as plastic cups and plastic utensils in lacquer thinner. Once they are totally disolved, add enough thinner to get the mixture to the correct consistancy (thin paint). Dip the raw lure into the mixture, allowing about 15 minutes between coats until the desired thicness is achieved. The results will be a durable, waterproof coating, which will seal the wood in a layer of plastic.

Anyone here ever try it?

I've Tried this using paint thinner and acetone or lacquer thinner as solvents and foam cups, plates, insulation & rigid solo cups for the plastic both left m with a goey sticky mess that wouldn't harden even after a week. I'm not sure what went wrong but this method did not work for me.

FYI, You all. Here is a tester that i had soaking overnight. It had only 2 thin coats and was soaked nose (cut side) down. It's paintable as soon as the lacquer thinner evaporates, which is a very short time.

8+ hrs under water and then dried out. I used Hard white plastic cups and lacquer thinner and brought it to theconsistency of watery paint. Just my $.02.

plaspic.jpg

plaspic.jpg

plaspic.jpg

plaspic.jpg

plaspic.jpg

plaspic.jpg

plaspic.jpg

plaspic.jpg

809_thumb.attach

Husky

I also just started to experiment with it' date=' using Styrofoam peanuts. I will give one good piece of advice and warning (don?t use a throwaway plastic cup when you mix.)

Stupid me!! :? I did not think it would melt that fast!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

-Corey[/quote']

Been there, done that! :oops: I found an Olive jar works very well, as it is long enough for the biggest baits and is narrow enough to keep the volume of mixture down. I'm sticking with cups and plastic utensils for now. Please let me know how the Styrofoam worked out.

Hint, I VIGOROUSLY shale off the lure immediately after dipping. I found this avoids a build up of plastic.

Husky' date='

How hard is the finish?

Is it suitable for a balsa base coat?[/quote']

I don't see why it wouldn't be suitable for Balsa. I just gave a piece of balsa a coat, I'll keep you posted. On the hard wood dowel Darter, the finish is quite hard, somewhere between paint anf Etex. Hope that helps.

2 to 1, you have the ingredients in your shop or garage as we speak.

Husky

I never thought about a jar. Have you put the lid on after using it? How long is it lasting?

Because form my understanding what is occurring is the thinner is evaporating leaving the plastic hard. :idea:

Thanks

-Corey

Yes, you must cover the jar between uses. You may even have to add thinner from time to time. JMHO, but it's better to have the consistancy a bit too thin and give an additional coat than to overload the plug. Practice on scraps til you get the hang of it. Allow for the plastic to completely disolve. It should look like thin white paint. You can lightly sand between coats if you desire.

Husky

You just gave me a very cool idea. :idea: Have you tried just using the clear plastic utensils? What if it comes out clear on the bait? About now I think you are seeing where I am going with this! :idea: So do you know if it comes out clear?

Also thanks for the help!!! :wink:

-Corey

Husky

You just gave me a very cool idea. :idea: Have you tried just using the clear plastic utensils? What if it comes out clear on the bait? About now I think you are seeing where I am going with this! :idea: So do you know if it comes out clear?

Also thanks for the help!!! :wink:

-Corey

This is a thinner base product and I am 99.9% sure it'll Trash any paint Job you put it on. :pissed: Still, the while base coat is pretty cool for start. The clear may be better in that it doesn't have any coloring agents added.

How long does it take for the lacquer thinner to dissolve the plastic??

I have had some in a jar now for over an hour and it's not doing

much of anything.

Coley

I bought some cheapo cups ang they wouldn't disolve. I went to the Supermarket and bought their brand and they disolved pretty quickly. If they look intact after an hour switch to another plastic.

don't sure if I've made everything right... the cups melted perfectly, I've made 3 dips (allow 6 hours to dry). After the first two layers, the coat wasn't white enough. After the third, coat was white, smooth, but... soft :(

Maybe I've put too many cups? Maybe it is better to put 5-6 layers of thinner coats?

vytautas

don't sure if I've made everything right... the cups melted perfectly' date=' I've made 3 dips (allow 6 hours to dry). After the first two layers, the coat wasn't white enough. After the third, coat was white, smooth, but... soft :(

Maybe I've put too many cups? Maybe it is better to put 5-6 layers of thinner coats?

vytautas[/quote']

Give it time to dry out, fully. FYI, If you're goint to paint them you probably can get by with just 2 coats. My guess is that the thinner in the last coat softens the undercoats but they will harden again as the thinner totally dries out. I tested on scrap and that's what happened.