Jeff Hahn

Hot Glue Jig

I tried the non aerosol version of that as a mold release for lead. It left a nice thin white coating in the mold. I thought I was on to something great, then when I poured it off-gassed. I couldn't even get a partial fill on a mold I knew worked fine with no release. It may do the trick for hot glue though and it isn't hard to get off if it doesn't work.

I like the "out of the box" thinking on this site, and for this subject, but Bass100 gave you all the best approach

Making a mold using RTV mold putty takes just minutes to do and you can pour whatever you want.  Making a mold out of the liquid RTV, like Alumilite HS1, HS2, or even HS3 which does take overnight to cure, is a one time thing but does give supreme detail.

I have made floating jigs using expanding foam from Alumilite.

I have made near neutral density ones using Alumilite White, a resin.  The resin sets up in about 10 minutes or less and is very tough.  You will never pull a wire weed guard out of it.  I do not find that hot melt glue holds paint any easier, and it is easy to use Alumidust on the inside of the mold before you pour and you get your jig "colored" permanently without ever using paint.  (cosmetic powders like blush, foundation, and eye shadow, etc., work well also).  Adding microballons will make it float and adding a little weight will make it sink faster.  Oh, and will it react to plastics or silicone or rubber skirts?  NO, it is nonreactive. 

I have made near neutral density jigs using Alumilite Amazing Clear Cast.  It also pours well, but takes longer to cure.  IT IS CLEAR.  Of course, you will still see the jig and wire weed guards.  LOL

I have also made spinner blades out of the Alumilite White and Amazing Clear Cast (resins), as well as spoons.  My first Alabama rig used Alumilite White and it is so tough, and in my case so very light.  The weight of my swim-jigs is what I use for casting.

I know, I sound like a salesman, but the truth is that I just use the stuff and I know how good it is for what you are doing.  No preheating molds to get it almost too hot to hold, but not get burned; no waiting until the sprue is white, no mold releases necessary.

And yes, there are other brands of RTV and resins, Alumilite is just what I use.  Check out the web site and watch the how to videos.  Perhaps it can give you some ideas.

Still, I like the idea of the hot melt glue.  I bet that it will have some applications for something in the future. :?

Update:  The Hot Glue jigs I made look great.  But, they don't work worth a flip!  The almost float and will not sink once I add a plastic trailer.  They will definitely need to be weighted in some way.  Maybe adding a BB or two or perhaps pouring them on an 1/8 ounce head and then putting that jig in a larger cavity and injecting the Hot Glue.

Update:  The Hot Glue jigs I made look great.  But, they don't work worth a flip!  The almost float and will not sink once I add a plastic trailer.  They will definitely need to be weighted in some way.  Maybe adding a BB or two or perhaps pouring them on an 1/8 ounce head and then putting that jig in a larger cavity and injecting the Hot Glue.

......... Hook a small bass sinker on the hook shaft ......... It will make it sink horizontal and you can change the fall rate by changing the sinker size

• Like 1