RSNeely

Curing Powder Paint

I bend out some paper clips on both ends.  Put one end through the hookeye and hang the other end on the rung of the rack in the oven.  If you get a run in the paint, it will run toward the hook and can easily be broken off or cut off with small side cutter.

Edited by Jeff Hahn

If you don't over coat them you won't have any paint in the eyes.  I hold the eye with needle nosed pliers when I dip the jig.  I don't heat them any hotter than it takes to get the paint to stick.  So when I put them in the oven there aren't any paint runs to begin with and the eyes are already free of paint.

• Like 1

Jig Man is correct.  Once you get the hang of it you will never fill in a hook eye again.  I just use the old toothpick and I am able to do hundreds in a sitting.  When I first started powder coating many years ago I hung my first batch up by the eye and I created a very big problem.  I created a sharp edge were the wire was on the eye at and I had to clean every eye out because it would cut my line.

CS coatings has standing racks for powder coating. I believe Tj's tackle sells them. I've been using ceramic magnets from harbor freight. I stick the hook shank to the side of the block and if they don't want to stay upright I sandwich them between two blocks. It's the only way I've found to make spinnerbaits fit in my small old toaster oven. One thing to watch out for if you try this is the magnets jumping together with hooks by your fingers. They've been holding up to the heat so far(350). My oven has a flat pan

I love my jig clamping racks from TJ's tackle.

Any excess paint runs down the hook shank where it is more easily cleaned off.

I do pretty good with not creating excess paint but every once in awhile or when working with new stuff I still get one or two with excess paint.

http://www.tjstackle.com

I don't have excess paint melting into the hook eye or nipple jigs.

I have something simular to the two piece aluminum angle, if you lay a bead of high temp red RTV on the inside top edge and let it cure overnight, it will help hold the jigs in place. I have one made of wood also just for painting spinner baits with thin foam on the inside and it holds very well.