dtrs5kprs

Suggestions For Cutting Mason Multi Strand?

Anyone have a better suggestion than diagonal or side cutters for cutting lots, and lots, and lots (no really, I mean lots) of Mason Multi Strand wire. Using 45# / 0.018 diameter for tiny wire guards and am cutting literally thousands.

Have a little tool to keep the length to a decent standard, but cutters are giving me fits.

Your link didn't open.- Try this one

http://www.amazon.com/Jewelers-Wire-Guillotine-Cutter-Tool/dp/B0074AQY2C

I wonder if that will cut multi-stranded wire- do you have experience w/ this using the aforementioned wire type w/the linked guillotine cutter?

Your link didn't open.- Try this one

http://www.amazon.com/Jewelers-Wire-Guillotine-Cutter-Tool/dp/B0074AQY2C

I wonder if that will cut multi-stranded wire- do you have experience w/ this using the aforementioned wire type w/the linked guillotine cutter?

I only know about this because my buddy's wife does some sort of bead art and she has this exact tool to cut wire because her hands hurt using wire cutters because of arthritis. She cuts some big wire, bigger than what I use for in-line spinners which is .024, and I have no doubt after seeing it work that it would cut braided wires, maybe 15lb surflon 7 strand which is what I used for wire guards. Like I said, I haven't used it but I saw it work and if you had a lot of wire to cut that is what I would have.

Small jaw-

Thanks for the reply. I believe you're using plastic coated 7 strand wire-correct? That would be easier to cut vs non-coated 7 strand wire.Non coated wire will separate and mush-out on the ends unless the cutting apparatus is sharp. I too cut a great deal of non-coated wire for my jigs w/the cable pliers I posted. Cutting isn't too bad but double  bending the ends over so they stay in the lead head jig is time consuming and hard on your wrist.

Yes, the 7 strand is nylon coated and the stainless is single strand so I don't know how it would do without the coating as it could cause the wire to untwist.

Thanks for the honest answer. Cutting non-coated,7 strand wire is tricky. I'll continue to use my linked cable cutters-

they will cut 5-7 wires simultaneously when trimming for precise lengths.