jonister

Solarez Uv Light

So i am happy to say i ordered solarez, but am not sure what kind of cure light i need, i know it can be cured in the sun but lately it has been pouring rain and cloudy (like the past month), and i would like more freedom of being able to use this whenever. so my question is, do i need a special kind of uv light or can i use a standard black light or UV light from the Hardware store?

There's no need for either a stand or a rotator.

The light box itself has room for hanging three cranks at a time, max, or they'll bump into each other.  I only do two at a time.

I open my bench vice enough to set the light box with it's opening up on the two jaws.  The light had two switches, one to turn on the power to the light, and another to actually turn the light on and off.  Those switches are on the back of the light, so they are on the underside when I have it on the vice.  I am able to access them between the open jaws.

The switches are not tall.  I could do the same thing on a flat suface if I spaced them up with a couple of pieces of wood.

I hang my baits from V shaped wires so they suspend in the light chamber.  I lift them out and turn them every 30 seconds for three minutes total.  The entire light box is lined with reflective material, so both sides get hit no matter which side is facing the actual bulbs.  And there are four bulbs, so the light is hitting them from lots of angles.

I read here that 30 second intervals work best, so that's why I do it.

I also read here that these lights give off the proper UV wave length, so that's another reason I use this light.

You can also take them out into direct sunlight to cure, but I find the finish is clearer when I use the light box.

I dip my baits in the Solarez, and let them drip back into the container.  

If you plan to do this, too, be sure your doors are closed, and window shaded.  I found out the hard way that UV rays are reflected off hard surfaces, and can reach back into a shaded garage.  I had some drips cure in my dipping jar, and had to screen the rest of the material to get rid of the cured chunks of crap that wound up in it.

The nail salon light that Mark is using works just fine - that's what I use when it's too cold to set them outside to cure.  It is a little awkward to use since we are turning the light on its end and suspending lures inside, but you can easily work out a way to get it done.  I just bunch up a towel on the bench until it sits erect.  UV cured polyester resins require specific wavelengths of UV light to cure, so you can't predict if a specific light will work unless you know what wavelengths it puts out and how that matches the UV finish you are using.  Sunlight contains a wide range of wavelengths, so it works.

I brush on the Solarez, then put it on my lure turner for a few minutes to level out before starting the UV cure.  When weather permits, I just sit the still turning lures out in the sun for 10-15 minutes.  I haven't figured out how to avoid the dreaded white surface blemish on Solarez so I just use the stuff for undercoating wood lures.  The white blemish is wax flakes that Solarez contains.  When you apply Solarez to a lure, the wax rises to the surface and is there to make the surface of the Solarez cure to a smooth hard state.

Thanks guys! i will order the light today! i cant wait to try this stuff! i love the idea of epoxy curing in minutes and not worrying about mixing, or cure time. If i do notice much difference with a dull surface or wax spots, i will try my buffing wheel on the stuff. 

What about a tanning bed light? I got the Alumi-UV stuff in the mail yesterday and I want to test it out tonight but it's dark and I don't know anywhere local to get a uv light setup right now. I can wait for the sun to come back up tomorrow but the waiting is killing me. I figure the old tanning bed may do the trick...thoughts?

Joe, My guess is that it will work but no guarantees.  Just have to try it and see.

Mark, I haven't had as much white blush since I started rotating the baits.  If the Solarez doesn't migrate toward the tail of the bait, there is less wax to accumulate and cause the blush.  But regardless, the lack of gloss compared to other topcoats is a big drawback to me and the details on the baits look rather muddy compared to other topcoats.  I don't think Solarez is better than other coatings, it's just really really fast.  And I'm not in that big of a hurry.

Edited by BobP

Joe, My guess is that it will work but no guarantees.  Just have to try it and see.

Mark, I haven't had as much white blush since I started rotating the baits.  If the Solarez doesn't migrate toward the tail of the bait, there is less wax to accumulate and cause the blush.  But regardless, the lack of gloss compared to other topcoats is a big drawback to me and the details on the baits look rather muddy compared to other topcoats.  I don't think Solarez is better than other coatings, it's just really really fast.  And I'm not in that big of a hurry.

Makes total sense.  I was just wondering if my letting the baits hang and drip before curing wound up making the Solarez thinner than brushing and turning.  Either way, it's a great top coat for quick turnaround lures.  I can build, paint, top coat, and fish the same day.  I seldom do it like that, but it's totally doable.  

And I don't see the blush except on dark backs, and that is only occasionally.  Must be my good, clean living!

Mark, I'm a practical-minded crankbait builder.  I want a bait with a tough finish comparable in looks to typical U.S. factory baits.  But the action is really critical.  If you can't get that right, you're just prettying up a pig's ear.  It takes me a few days to build a batch of crankbaits.  The building is part of the fun and I want to squeeze every drop of fun I can from it.  From reading years of posts, I'm thinking you take "practical" to a whole 'nother level!  Wham, Bam, fish it today! :D

Hahaha  No secrets from you Bob!  I do try to make my process as fast as possible, within reason.  

Maybe raising 5 kids has made me try to fit everything into what free time I've had. Maybe that's where the wham, bam thing comes in.  Hahaha

But I do have fun building and painting.  

Since I retired this year, I'm trying to learn to take more time with everything, and pay more attention to details.

The latest fun thing for me was to try my hand at stenciling.  I always shied away from it because my pressure regulator is in a very hard to reach place.  But I bought a MAC valve that I put between my air hose and my quick disconnect, and, all of a sudden, pressure regulating is easy.

So I've begun fooling around with stencils, which add time to my painting, but not a lot.

I've also found that I can get a "fish it the next day" lure if I dip in AC1315, and dry it with a hair dryer like I do airbrush paint.

It is completely clear, and it even protects painted bills, so far.  I fished a crank with a painted bill hard Saturday, grinding it over the rocks a lot, and, so far, it's held up.

I've moved away from Solarez, since I've found AC1315.  Fickle, I know.

I found that it cured for me in three minutes, with me turning the lure every 30+- seconds.  

Someone here posted that taking it out and turning it would help keep the Solarez from fogging up, and I've followed their advice.

So far, I've had very slight fogging only on black or really dark backed lures.

I have never tried just letting one hang in the light for three seconds without turning.  Since the entire interior of my light box is reflective, it would probably cure that way, but I haven't done it myself.

Great! , thanks for the reply! I got the solarez today but dont have the light, and right as i was about to try it outside it started raining :cry:. Why didnt i pay for overnight shipping?! hahaha lol. I would like to try it tomorrow as thats when the light is supposed to come but of course i will be gone :mad:. I will try to post results on Thursday or Friday. Thanks again guys! 

What about a tanning bed light? I got the Alumi-UV stuff in the mail yesterday and I want to test it out tonight but it's dark and I don't know anywhere local to get a uv light setup right now. I can wait for the sun to come back up tomorrow but the waiting is killing me. I figure the old tanning bed may do the trick...thoughts?

Just curious as to your results with the Alumi-UV and your opinion of it.

John

• Like 1

Nail lights have the bulbs on one side and a mirror on the other.  I hang them in there for 3 minutes and they come out hard all over.  It's even simpler doing them outside - I put them on a turner for the Solarez to level out before curing, then sit the still running turner out in sunlight for 10-15 minutes.  I'm not sure if temperature has anything to do with the cure process because I haven't done any in winter.  But even on a cloudy day, plenty of UV rays hit the earth.  However, the UV rays hit the earth at a different angle in winter and are more attenuated by the atmosphere.  But it's nice not to have to fuss with the nail light if I don't have to.

Soooo, i got the stuff and tried out the light which thickens it very fast, but after a while, it still seems tacky, i take it out, and sorta rub it with my fingers, and it hardens. before i probably mes up my favorite lure yet, can someone please tell me the way they do it with the light, i know some people have already explained it some but could someone go in depth? Thankyou guys so much for all your help with this stuff!

I just place the lure in my light for three cycles. My light times out in one minute cycles (give or take ) so I just reset it three times. When I first place the lure in the light I rotate it for the first cycle. If I am going to put the lure in the sun I do one cycle in the light then hang it outside. I also rotate the lure on my Turner for awhile to level out before I start this process.

I'm pretty sure Solarez contains some solvent.  Maybe in this cold weather it is not flashing off properly?  Another thing -  it contains wax flakes.  They are suspended in the resin so it's a good idea to stir the Solarez before application.  When on the lure, the wax flakes rise to the surface of the finish and they are necessary to prevent exposure to the air during the cure (i.e., to suffocate the resin) so its surface will cure hard.  Too few wax flakes?  Too quick a cure after application?  Sticky surface.

Not sure why your solarez is still tacky after 20min I haven't had this to happen. I do shake my can up before I open it because I had read about the wax Bob referred to. I would guess that the coldest temp I have used it in would be around 40 degrees while my shop warmed up. I have two different uv lights that I use and it cures fine in both so not sure if your light would be an issue.