Brad

Plastic lips

Has anyone tried to make their own plastic lips? Could you make an impression by using a pre-made lip, then pour plastic into it? I've never worked with plastic, so maybe it's not possible. Also, if it is possible, could you make molds out of aluminum, having someone mill the molds? thanks.

You can have a machine shop make a die that will stamp the lips out of lexan. These dies are not cheap. We cut flash tape for lead jigs with a die of that type. The best way to make a die would be with a wire edm machine but, I have seen some made with a cnc milling machine. You will then need some type of press to operate the die and unless you crash the die it should last a good while before it needs resurfacing.

Rick

BS Tackle,

I've tested Smooth-On's crystal clear 220 cast into Moldmax 20 silicone. The photo shows the test mold which is has a shore hardness of 20. It is farr too soft and only 1/4 inch thick. The mold distorts when layed on any surface other than the original mold box it was made in.

A better 2 part mold could be made with Dragon skin. It is formulated for extended exposure to clear resins and excellent for casting trolling squids.

The crystal clear 220 is not brittle and has some flexability. It takes alot of force to bend it. Smaller lips are less apt to bend. A support beam can be added to the underside on the prototype model before molding to help counter-act bending.

If the lure is large enough the lip size will have some weight to it. Musky Manias DD Ernie with the line tie on the lip shows how the diving bill acts as a ballast wagging the bait behind it. http://www.storesonline.com/members/586683/color_patterns/images/ED-blank_ruler.jpg

Here's a link to smooth-on's Crystal Clear 220 instructions for use: http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:GBosz5yczwQJ:www.smooth-on.com/PDF/Crystal%2520Clear%2520220.pdf+crystal+clear+220&hl=en

You would have to cast trays of them in advance and let them cure. The prototype model needs a gloss finish on it before making the mold. If it doesn't the diving bill will have a frosted or hazed look to them. Surface hazing can be polished out with Novus plastic polish #2.

The resin also needs to be pressure cast in a vaccuum chamber for it to be free of bubbles. http://www.alumilite.com/line.cfm?Action=view&ID=5

I have a makeshift vaccuum that works ok but doesn't pull near as much as it should.

The die and press is alot quicker. I had a buddy tell me that using 1/8th lexan will dull the die quickly and it will need resharpening often. 1/16 lexan works well in his press.

Hope that helps. If you try casting them please post your results :).

Tight lines,

Shawn

cc220_diving_bill.jpg

cc220_flex.jpg

cc220_diving_bill.jpg

cc220_flex.jpg

cc220_diving_bill.jpg

cc220_flex.jpg

cc220_diving_bill.jpg

cc220_flex.jpg

cc220_diving_bill.jpg

cc220_flex.jpg

cc220_diving_bill.jpg

cc220_flex.jpg

cc220_diving_bill.jpg

cc220_flex.jpg

cc220_diving_bill.jpg

cc220_flex.jpg

813_thumb.attach

814_thumb.attach

You're right Jed, it is easier to order instead of creating from nothing. They make unpainted blanks so ya don't have to worry about consistency everytime. If ya can't airbrush they also make them prepainted...just add hooks and put your company name on it.

http://www.staminainc.com/bodies_crankminnow/minnow5.html

BS Tackle asked how and thought I'd share my research with him.

Jed,

I apologize if I came off as crass... I'm a little rough around the edges if you know what I mean :oops: ...

The photos are of tests I did a few months ago. At the moment I'm overwhelmed working on mold orders and finishing out some tackle swaps. It will be a while untill I get to work on any of my stuff.

Tight lines,

Shawn