Faithfishing

Bone Color

There are quite a few "bone" colors. Some are more white while others have a yellow or tan tint to them.

I like to use Createx transparent tan with a little transparent yellow added in. If you want a lighter shade you can add a drop or two of white. A couple drops of gold will also change the shade.

Bone is something you'll have to experiment with to find the exact color you like. Just remember to make small changes when mixing. You can always add more paint, but you can't remove it once it's in the mix.

Ben

Does anyone have a recipe for a Bone color? I use c-tex. thanks

Funny you should ask this.  I started painting my second bait yesterday.  It is a spook like bait so I wanted bone with either an orange or pink belly.  It took me a while to get the color I wanted but here is what I did.  Using only Createx (and Wicked Reducer) first I base coated the whole lure opaque white.  Then 10 drops pearl white, 10 drops opaque white, 1/2-3-4 drop of opaque yellow.  The color in the airbrush looked a lot more yellow but since it was over a white base coat it turned out great.  I will take a picture and post it when I go home for lunch.

• Like 1

"Bone" is in the eye of the beholder.  I like a light bone formulated along the lines of what Mark uses.  I start with an ounce of opaque white and add a squirt of yellow, then darken it slightly with just a drop or two of brown.  A former archaeology student, I've seen lots of bones from off-white to dark brown depending on their age and the soil they were in!   

• Like 1

I use Golden Fluid Acrylics for my Bone patterns.. White base coat and a coat of Titan Buff....done

I checked out Golden's paint line and they've got some great looking colors, but man are they proud of it. Over $13 for 4 ounces. :eek: I probably won't be spraying any of their paint unless Joe leaves me some in his will. :lol:

Ben

• Like 1

I start with opaque white, and add some trans. yellow to warm it up.  A drop or two of gold metallic browns it slightly, but not too much.

Using Mark's color mix and Ben's stir stick idea I tried this:  20 eyedroppers of Illustrator base, 7 drops of opaque white, one drop brite yellow,  and then use a cocktail toothpick to stir some pearl satin gold and then use the wet toothpick to stir the opaque white and yellow mix.  Makes a perfect "Bone" color. :twocents:

• Like 1