Faithfishing

Createx Matte Top Coat

1.  Lightly sand a topcoat to remove all its gloss.  Problem - the water fills in the sanding scratches and makes the topcoat clear again as soon as it hits the water.

2.  Use a low gloss topcoat like Solarez UV cured polyester.  Problem - the low gloss is caused by a wax blush on the surface that tends to obscure paint detail.

3.  Find a very low gloss polyurethane.  It won't be as durable as other choices - but understand that "There's no Free Lunch".

4.  Investigate applying a softer polyethylene topcoat over a hard topcoat, like you see on some matte finish baits from Lucky Craft.  Problem -  the matte finish LC baits I bought eventually started to shed the matte coating.

Honestly, I think matte coatings are almost entirely about the fisherman instead of the fish.  It's a novelty thing to me.

I'm gonna go with Bob on this one. If i'm painting for a guy who wants it, i'll do it for him for a dollar or two extra but IMHO it helps catch the fisherman, not the fish.

The detail on the paint is what really matter.

here's what I do. I get Turtle wax and a paper towel and rub it on the bait after it's been coated with D2T. I've done it with other topcoats too, same process. I think the turtle wax works because I believe it contains "diatomacious earth" tiny little pieces of glass deposited from animals on the seafloor. When rubbed onto tho topcoat it scuffs it enough to take off the shine of the topcoat without really affecting the strength.

I think it's glossy when wet again but I'm not sure. A lot of guys think it is.

All you have to do to see if it's true or not is to lightly sand an unpainted bait and then put it a bowl of water or just hold it under the kitchen faucet with the water running. As soon as it's covered in water the marks left by sanding will disappear.

Ben