smalljaw

1/8Oz Ball Head Jig Mold That Accepts 3/0 Hook

I'm looking for a ball or round head mold with a 1/8oz cavity that takes a 3/0 hook but a 90 degree hook, not a 60 or a flat eye, those I have.  The molds I currently have I can get a 2/0 in the 1/8oz and have to go to 1/4oz for the 3/0. The mold that might work is the Gamakatsu model, the GRC-7-A but I'm not sure, so if anyone has this mold, or knows of another I'd appreciate any help I can get, thanks.

I'm looking for a ball or round head mold with a 1/8oz cavity that takes a 3/0 hook but a 90 degree hook, not a 60 or a flat eye, those I have.  The molds I currently have I can get a 2/0 in the 1/8oz and have to go to 1/4oz for the 3/0. The mold that might work is the Gamakatsu model, the GRC-7-A but I'm not sure, so if anyone has this mold, or knows of another I'd appreciate any help I can get, thanks.

Here is what I came up with.

The 3/0 Gami 604 will fit in the 1/8oz cavity of the Do-It Gamakatsu Hook Mold #3388.

If you are willing to do some slight modification it would also look nice in the Do-It models 1061 or 1242.

You would only be able to pour 1/2 of the cavities in these mold because of how the hook sits though.

3388.jpg

Edited by JBarlow
  • Like 1

That is awesome, now I'm wondering if the Mustad 32831 or the Owner 5313 both in 3/0 will fit that mold and that is only because I have those in stock. I'd like to be able to just buy the mold and add to the hooks I already have but if I have to get the 604 I will, thanks for the help, having J.Barlow here is awesome!!!

• Like 2

That is awesome, now I'm wondering if the Mustad 32831 or the Owner 5313 both in 3/0 will fit that mold and that is only because I have those in stock. I'd like to be able to just buy the mold and add to the hooks I already have but if I have to get the 604 I will, thanks for the help, having J.Barlow here is awesome!!!

These hooks do not fit in the 1/8oz cavity in a 3/0.

The Mustad shank from the eye to the bend was way too long.

The Owner wire diameter was just a little too large...it is really close.

If you squeezed the mold it will close on some of the hooks.

3388b.jpg

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

I think I found a mold but I'm not sure, anyway this week I'm getting either the Gamakatsu mold or this one, the RHB-6-1816, if I'm reading the chart right it has 6 cavities, 3 of them in 1/16oz and 3 in 1/8oz and they accept 2/0 and 3/0 570 Eagle Claws which means they should take an Owner 5318, is that right and can anyone help?

I think I found a mold but I'm not sure, anyway this week I'm getting either the Gamakatsu mold or this one, the RHB-6-1816, if I'm reading the chart right it has 6 cavities, 3 of them in 1/16oz and 3 in 1/8oz and they accept 2/0 and 3/0 570 Eagle Claws which means they should take an Owner 5318, is that right and can anyone help?

The Gama 603 2/0 will fit the mold but the 3/0 will not.  It sits crooked and has too big of a wire diameter.

The Owner 5318 fits great in 2/0 and 3/0.

3350.jpg

The Gama 603 2/0 will fit the mold but the 3/0 will not.  It sits crooked and has too big of a wire diameter.

The Owner 5318 fits great in 2/0 and 3/0.

3350.jpg

Thank you so much, now I have a question on the use, I like the Gamakatsu as it uses a heavier wire hook but the offset head makes me wonder if it will work for me. We rig Keitech easy shiners and Gene Larew sweet simmer up on ball head jigs and fish them like a tube, when the fish went deep before the water froze I was able to use my 1/4oz head with a 3/0 hook but now I'm going to need a 1/8oz as the fish will move up on sunny days in the spring. My question is about both molds, if you were going to rig a small 3.5" to 4" swim bait on a small jig head, which would you choose? Will the offset on the Gamakatsu head hurt the presentation, any advise would be welcomed and thanks for every thing, I'll be hitting up the store later today or tomorrow once I figure out which route to go.

Thank you so much, now I have a question on the use, I like the Gamakatsu as it uses a heavier wire hook but the offset head makes me wonder if it will work for me. We rig Keitech easy shiners and Gene Larew sweet simmer up on ball head jigs and fish them like a tube, when the fish went deep before the water froze I was able to use my 1/4oz head with a 3/0 hook but now I'm going to need a 1/8oz as the fish will move up on sunny days in the spring. My question is about both molds, if you were going to rig a small 3.5" to 4" swim bait on a small jig head, which would you choose? Will the offset on the Gamakatsu head hurt the presentation, any advise would be welcomed and thanks for every thing, I'll be hitting up the store later today or tomorrow once I figure out which route to go.

Honest truth??  I would not use either mold. Knowing that you want to use a 3/0 Owner 5318 in the 1/8oz cavity I would use the CRJ-6-WBA and drill the eye out a little so the 3/0 would fit.  The eye is only slightly too small.  The reason is because I hate the lead barbs.  I think they do a poor job keeping the plastic worm in place compared to the wire keeper.  But if I had to choose between the 2 molds above I would pick the RHB-6-1816 because it is more on center and I believe it would do a better job.  Also, you can pour multiple jigs at one time.

3484.jpg

The flashing under head is result of the mold not quite closing because of the eye being ever so slightly too big.

Honest truth??  I would not use either mold. Knowing that you want to use a 3/0 Owner 5318 in the 1/8oz cavity I would use the CRJ-6-WBA and drill the eye out a little so the 3/0 would fit.  The eye is only slightly too small.  The reason is because I hate the lead barbs.  I think they do a poor job keeping the plastic worm in place compared to the wire keeper.  But if I had to choose between the 2 molds above I would pick the RHB-6-1816 because it is more on center and I believe it would do a better job.  Also, you can pour multiple jigs at one time.

3484.jpg

The flashing under head is result of the mold not quite closing because of the eye being ever so slightly too big.

Thank you for the answer, you know I thought about going with the wire keeper but I have the shad head rig jig with wire keeper and it does hold the plastic but it also tears the inside of the bait up when you change out colors, then when you go back to one you used before it doesn't hold. I use a 1/4oz head with a collar now and I don't mind the lead barb so that is what I will go with, I liked the other mold as it took a heavier wire hook but I was concerned about the head being off center. Thanks again!!

Smalljaw I would say Mr. B has the right answer for you because I like the same thing for the same reasons. Though I take it one step farther and take a wire snips and cut down on the wire keepers lenght that bends away from the hook to just long enough to hold the plastic. Works great on bass plastics and crappie plastics. Give it a try and good luck.  STEVE