SNOWMAN CUSTOM BAITS

Color Help

Snow,

When trying to match a color one of the first things I do is a "bleed" test. Pour a "white" chip out of Plastisol, let cool then lay your bait on it, in this case belly side on the chip. Check back in about 2-8 hours or so to see if any color bleed onto the white. If so you know you are dealing with a dye. If no bleed then you are dealing with a pigment (there is a difference between the two). In this case your original sample is probably has dye in it, which I usually try to avoid if possible. It is hard to tell from the picture but it looks a little too orange for Copper Pearl to make an accetable match by itself. Here is a sample of Amber 114 colorant and Copper Pearl 142 from LureWorks that would be a good non-bleed replacement that I think you would be happy with.

Copper Craw

McLuvin you da man. I understand about the bleeding you speak of. I wondered why some worms would bleed(like cotton candy charteuse tail,if one of the worms in the pack was the opposite of the others they will bleed chartreuse on the whole worm) and others won't. I'm sure these worms have dye in them. These worms are probably 15 years old and I've changed the bag twice and the whole inside of the bag is orange. I will test this afternoon to make sure and try your suggestions. Thanks

Dyes are a double edged sword. They give you the clearest most transparent beautiful colors you can imagine....with the draw back that they bleed. There is a reason the "back" of the original sample bait is black. The dye has bled into that black a long time ago, you just cant see it. Same principle goes for a color like Tequila Sunrise. You have some red dye with Hi-lite Blue in the belly and a black back. That's virtually the only way you can get away with using a dye in a laminate. The color combination I recommended wont be as beautiful as your original, since it is pigment based, but I think it will pass muster.

Yes it does where did you get the copper hi lites at? I found some copper pearl powder but haven't seen any copper hi lites. Thanks

I bet it's that copper Pearl powder Snowman. I have some hi lites and I also have that copper Pearl. I'm on the road and not where I can put my hands on it or I would let you know and give you the recipe. I'll be home tomorrow if you would like to have it and can wait that long.