JJK

Masters

I always spray my masters, even my clay masters, with a clear coat.

For wood masters, I find it locks the wood fibers, so I can sand to a smoother surface, which is important for me when I'm making a silicone mold.

For my Sculpey clay masters, I just want to be sure they release okay.  Maybe it's not necessary with clay, but I've always done it.

Whatever your surface on the master is - your mold is going to replicate.  If you wanted a grainy finish - not coating the master would help provide that - but depending on the material and shape of the master and mold you could have difficulty getting the master back out.... for example a very porous material could lock in place.

I've used elmers glue, epoxy, paint, etc, etc to coat masters.  I've even sanded a few as smooth as I could get them just layered on wax and polished it the best I could by hand..... the wax will fill small holes to some degree and help pop the master out of the mold... 

J.

I don't want to jack this thread, but I'm pretty new to this thing and was wondering if any of you have molded soft plastic baits directly. I tried this a few weeks back and have obviously found that a resin/hard plastic master works MUCH better, but if you were to mold the original soft plastic worm, what would you use to secure the worm to the bottom of the mold? Super glue didn't work well for me, as the oil in the plastisol didnt allow bonding.

Thanks for your input and sorry for taking this a bit off topic.