JJK

Coloring Claw On Hand Poured Creature Baits

For some reason I just take a look at what everyone else is talking about and I learn something new on this forum. So you guys use these cups to pour? I never heard of them until now.

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-4-Cup-Silicone-Flexible-Measuring/dp/B002MKP24K

I am guessing you squeeze them to get a more accurate pour.

For some reason I just take a look at what everyone else is talking about and I learn something new on this forum. So you guys use these cups to pour? I never heard of them until now.

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-4-Cup-Silicone-Flexible-Measuring/dp/B002MKP24K

I am guessing you squeeze them to get a more accurate pour.

That is correct. I squeeze the cup and hold it several inches above the mold so that my stream is smaller than a tooth pick.

I am with Smallmouth on this one.  I tried several silicone ones out when they started popping up years ago on threads to see if it was a better product.  They have done a very good job holding pencils in my shop for some time now.  I think it boils down to how a guy learns to pour.  I learned to pour by me controlling the amount of plastic, the heat, etc... other guys can't pick this up, physical limitations, exist or simply they just don't want to mess with it and learn to pour based on what the equipment does.  Either works as you get good baits.  I just prefer using a more stable cup than the silicone cups I used.  I had one that sat in a holder but overall just more hassle than the pyrex or modified metal measuring cups.

Pouring craw claws like you mention I would first pour the body tail leading up to the arms.  Then have my second color ready to go and pour the claws.  I start the pour by pouring the claw in the thickest area possible.  Once the first bit of plastic makes it over the lip I tilt the cup very slightly back and allow the viscosity of the plastic to "pull/feed" the plastic into the craw and fill to almost completion. Not really pouring as if you let it continue the feed with stop unless you slightly tilt the cup.  I try not pouring at all but the let the plastic feed itself quickly in a thin consistent stream.  Get it right and it trails off on its own at the right time to move to the next cavity.    I will have a little piece of plastic (cooled) to dab on the tip of the edge of the cup to catch drips and expose a fresh pour surface if it starts to skim if needed.

I used the silcone cups.  I'd recommend buying bigger ones if there are a few sizes where you shop... as noted - you can't fill it up completely and pour as they do "collapse" at the top.  1/2 way filled is probably a safe place to start - and then when you squeeze the top it makes a decent pour spout.  They do get HOT as well.

As for them being better/worse then pyrex.... it's all about how you use them and what you do.  I only make a few baits at a time when using my micro - so filling it half way, heating then sucking it out with the injector to shoot works perfect for me... I like knowing they won't shatter if I set it on something by accident or even if I drop them off the shelf I pack all my crap on.

No real right or wrongs in this hobby as long as it works for what you need to do.

J.