rwfleming

Poison Tail Pour Problems

If you bought it new and you have not modified it or have not put in a bigger diameter hook in a smaller cavity, than there is a problem with the mold. You can go up or down one hook size on all Do-It molds. Since the lead is seeping in, you can fill the neck wherever the hook shank lies with JB Weld, and then re-file the slot. You would have to do this on both mold halves. A simpler fix might be to use high temp RTV silicone, do the same as above, except you won't have to file a slot. and this would accomplish the same thing. Once cured, you can stick the hook in, and this will prevent the lead from seeping into the hook eye cavity. Make sure you clean out the cavity by the hook eye. Hope this makes sense. Others may have some more quick fixes.

One last thing to check and that is make sure you do not have any small smashed pieces of lead on your mold halves. If you have a gap in the mold halves, this will also occur. So take a small scraper and run it over your mold halves to scrape them. Many times you will not see this, but the scraper will clean it and this may solve your problem.

You Have a PM.

Edited by cadman
  • Like 1

yes...i follow you....i will get some RTV silicone and give it a try......cuz it can sure be a headache having to get the lead out from the hook eyes.....my wife whines a lil..... :halo:  when she has to clean the eyes.....lol

i will scrape it first and see what happens.....it doesnt happen on every pour...just 50% + it happens

Edited by rwfleming

My old poison tail mold does the same thing, the 1/8oz, and 1/4oz cavities, the 3/8oz is fine. I developed a way to just remove the excess lead when I prep the jig, I simply run the open jaw of an old pair of gate shears around the hook eye and the excess comes right off.  I poured with mold about 4 hours a week on average and it is now quite old and it seeping lead in the hook eye about a year ago. My case isn't bad but if I were you I'd notify Do-it and let them know, they are good to work with and they will be able to help you.

• Like 1

Another option may be plumbers putty.  Smear a little in each side of the mold in the eye cavity.  Do it with a warm mold or it wont stay in the cavity.  Place your hook in there and close.  A little may squeeze out, you may have to take a knife and trim it clean so none hangs into the main cavity or hangs out against the flat area to keep it from closing tight.  The hook will form around it and that should take care of the problem. 

I use putty to pour bass casting sinkers with a wire loop instead of the a barrel swivel.  I just filled the cavity with putty and the wire eye made the indention.  It holds it in place just right.  And it has a little stickiness to it so the eye stays put when closing the mold.  Putty works good when wanting to hold a wire keeper in a mold also.  Lots of uses.

• Like 1