encoreman

Repair An Old Split Bamboo?

Hi guys, new here old in age. I have an old split bamboo spincast rod that was my dad's and he gave it to me and 40 years ago or more I broke the tip off closing the garage door, lost 6 inches or so. I have the notion to fix the rod and catch some fish on the ol girl this year. Anyone have any tips on how to do this? I am not wanting a pristine rod to put on the wall, this will be a user. I have repaired a glass rod years ago tha is still in use btw. Just throwing this out for discussion. Thanks Mac

That is quite a job you have taken on there. I did seriously consider building a split cane rod when I was in my teens. I did all the research but bottled out in the end as glass blanks were starting to become popular.

The repair would be straight forward if you accepted the loss of 6" from the end and re-tipped it.

After that, the next step would be to find a suitable replacement rod tip section and re-do the ferrules to suit.

If none of the above works and you don't want to pay hundreds of $$ for someone else to do the repair, then you are going to be getting into manufacturing grooved formers and cutting your own sections.

If you get to this stage, there is no point in splicing in a repair, you might as well replace the whole top section.

I did find a very good six part video that takes you through the process. It will either enthuse you or scare you away.

The above is part one, but it leads on to the next. I watched them all and it was fascinating. If you get as far as part six, a rod tip repair will not be enough!

Good luck with this splendid project.

Dave

Pics will be delayed due to snow storm here. After seeing the split cane, I was wondering if a section of cane spliced into it and a eye tip put on wouldn't work. I really am not concerned with looks as this is a really old rod and just happened across it and got to thinking how neat it would be to fish with it after all the years it has set in the corner. Thanks Mac

A photo really would help determine how bad the break is. If it is a clean break, and looks really don't matter, a fiberglass rod section that would fit over the broken sections could be epoxied in place and make a strong repair. You would be fishing with your fathers rod and your repair. Good luck. Musky Glenn