Fredosantana

First Attempt At Turning Some Plugs On The New Lathe.

I recently purchased a workbench wood lathe from harbor freight and so far its been treating me pretty well. I've been researching turning plugs for quite sometime now, and today I finally turned my first two lures. The top lure was supposed to imitate a Hula Popper, and the bottom is going to be a pencil popper. The Hula Popper is made from basswood and the pencil popper is made from eastern red cedar. Any critiques would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone could provide some info on how to cut the angle for the pencil popper mouth I'd also appreciate that. Thanks in advance!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

post-47393-0-28673200-1424221756_thumb.jpg

I own a Harbor Freigth lathe, it's been 3 years and runs really good, very heavy duty made from heavy cast iron. I am really happy with it. Harbor freight does not have the best tools and machinery, but this particular lathe it's really good. I make musky size Bomber baits and the Hellbenders, these are baits made back in the 1940 for bass, but musky love them too. Happy turning

Gino 

Edited by spoonpluggergino

They look great!  Please tell me you're an experienced turner, or else I'm going to go out to my garage and burn my lathe!

If you do a search for Diemai (Dieter Maiberg) in this forum's search tab at the top right, it should take you to some of his lathe turned lures.  He has a bunch, and a lot of great ideas.

tried pvc on lathe . forget it. we run 2 copier lathes here my old craftsman is hurtin. my craftsmen duplicater lathe is strong. if you need cutters there not cheep.. here in Canada 60.00 a piece.

Woodie,

Is the PVC hard on cutters?  

I've machined it, and it doesn't seem to be hard on bandsaw blades, drill bits, circular saw blades, or hand saw blades.  It does heat up when sanded if I apply too much pressure.

I used both for some turning, years back.  The belt sander worked to smooth some crappy wood that looked like a Wookie after I'd roughed it out with a chisel.

The wood rasp was the size/shape I needed for one part of a turning I was trying to match for an antique chair rung, so I tried it and it worked, but it loaded really quickly, and I had to clean it too often.

As I said, my lathe is now buried behind a bunch of other stuff, so I don't see getting a chance to turn PVC any time soon.