Nathan

Kbs Diamond Top Coat

I currently use garco and it lasts way longer than when I used dick nite. I buy a quart at a time and I pour it into small mason jars. I normally dip 3 coats. Wait an hour in between coats. When I am finished I store the jars upside down so if any does start to cure it will be on the bottom. I can dip 150-200 lures with one quart of garco. I do have a question. I was reading some old threads and came across some people sampling some new dick nite formula. It was suppose to last a lot longer. Was this stuff ever put into production.

Juice, It was a "Duh" moment when I read of simply flipping the jar upside down.  Great suggestion!  As to Dick Nite topcoats, there have been at least 3 that I know of - but only one is a MCU.  One is a water based urethane which several members tested.  My test showed water absorption. turning white, and peeling after submersion in water for a few hours, so it did not measure up to MCU in any way.  Can't remember what the third DN topcoat was/is. 

This  may be off topic but has to do with dipping baits in some kind of solution. Seems  clear to me that a high percentage of painters are looking for something that they can deep a bait and clear coat it and have a long lasting pot life

I came across something that I am developing and I found this by pure luck and I am very excited, I will be testing this concoction that I made for another six month. Right now I am able to dip a bait and clear coated and the results are fantastic, but needs all kinds of testing under adverse condition, so fur the mix did not go bad and it is not developing a skin on top. If the results are good I will get a lawyer involved either sell the product by myself or sell the idea to a company, I really do not know what to do as of now. I will definitely take my time and do it right. I came across this a year ago and just in the last month I made the mix, I will be posting some baits that I made for this project and post them, I may be talking about this a little to early, but I had to at least see if any one would be interested in Dipping Dripping and Hang a bait

Gino Testone

• Like 2

hi everyone, I received my kbs last week and done some test with it . I dipped straight out of the can and put on tuner had bubbles. then I thinned 20% with xylene/xylol instead of their#1 thinner. and dipped and hung hardly any bubbles maybe a couple out of 5 baits not a big deal. I am very pleased with results so far , I am using bloxygen and I have product in a canning jar for now to see how long I can use it before it starts to gel . this stuff gets rock hard on the bait in just 2-3 days. I just wanted to say thanks to you guys for sharing all your knowledge. this is what makes this hobby so much fun !!!   

Top Dawg, I think you'll find that if you just hang the baits up to dry/cure after dipping them, your bubbling problem will disappear.  When you put the baits on a lure turner, it allows the MCU to pool in areas of the bait under the developing skin - which allows wet MCU to sit on the paint for too long, thus causing bubbles.

I changed what I am sealing my baits with and my white base coat. Well the garco that I have been using didn't like it and it caused my paint to crack underneath. I order a pint of kbs clear to try and it worked out great. I guess I will be switching to kbs. Where are you guys buying it from? I want to find the cheapest place to buy it from.

So I just ran through the entire thread, it looks like 2-3 coats in a day is about what most guys are doing. Is that correct? I just dipped 8 lures for the first time and want to make sure I get the following coats right. So far so good, the first coat looks awesome! 

I used KBS on some large baits with size #1 treble hooks recently, applied two coats by dipping then brushing off excess. After giving it 3 days to harden I took it out for a swim and noticed the kbs was flaking from the hook rash. I would expect some damage due to the hooks normally but not large flakes peeling off and exposing the paint.  Anyone else have this issue? I have a couple baits drying today that i sprayed, going to see if that has any difference with the flaking issue.