Nathan

Kbs Diamond Top Coat

https://www.kbs-coatings.com

The Diamond Finish top coat is a product Similar to the DN product but is a bit more storage and user friendly.I understand it is dippable,brushable and according to there reviews sprayable.

I've never personally tried this product but have heard good things..I hope some of the guys who have been using this product will give us some info...Nathan

I've been using KBS for a couple years and, honestly, I don't know how I ever made it without it. I feel quite confident that the lures I've done during this time are more durable than the ones done prior with other products. I've tried DN and several auto finishes as clear coats and none of 'em stack up to KBS...for one reason or another. It's ease of use should be illegal.

I'll be glad to answer any questions anyone may have. If you haven't tried this stuff...you're missin' out.

:)

I too have been using it and love it... I thin it 10-15% with xylene/xylol per manufacture suggestion. All of the air bubbles have disappeared. I brush on a fast heavy coat and brush off as much as I can. This leaves the perfect amount on the bait. I turn them, and put one more coat on doing the same... It's been awesome.

PS... JEGS sells it the cheapest I have found and free shipping...

Edited by 21xdc

From KBS website: NOTE: Do not apply DiamondFinish in wet or high heat/humidity conditions to avoid too rapid curing. Do not apply DiamondFinish too thick or too soon between coats. In each of these instances, surface bubbling may result as released carbon dioxide becomes entrapped beneath the top surface layer of paint.

I've been using KBS for a couple years and, honestly, I don't know how I ever made it without it. I feel quite confident that the lures I've done during this time are more durable than the ones done prior with other products. I've tried DN and several auto finishes as clear coats and none of 'em stack up to KBS...for one reason or another. It's ease of use should be illegal.

I'll be glad to answer any questions anyone may have. If you haven't tried this stuff...you're missin' out.

:)

Is it sprayable?  Any details are appreciated.

Aware of this. I've tried it at all times of the year with varying levels of humidity. It always bubbles somewhere. If you brush it thin and hang and there is any goobers where it collects you will get massive bubbles. If you rotate it you get massive bubbles. If you spray it you get massive bubbles. 

From KBS website: NOTE: Do not apply DiamondFinish in wet or high heat/humidity conditions to avoid too rapid curing. Do not apply DiamondFinish too thick or too soon between coats. In each of these instances, surface bubbling may result as released carbon dioxide becomes entrapped beneath the top surface layer of paint.

Have also tried it, bubbles, bubbles and more bubbles if you are not super careful. Have tried dipping, brushing and spraying but could not achieve a bubble free finish no matter what I tried. You just need one small pool anywhere and the bubbles will come. Had a good shine to it and seemed durable enough, just the bubbles...

Angus

When I dip n hang a lure...I don't get puddles!! Where does the stuff puddle on a vertical lure? I dipped a topwater lure yesterday that had deep eye sockets. I was hoping the KBS would stay and harden in there so they wouldn't be quite so deep. No such luck...it ran out and down the lure to the floor.

The only time I thin KBS is when I notice it getting a lil stiff after repeatedly opening the jar. I then thin it 20% with "#1" thinner...as Phil noted.

I don't try to crowd too many coats in a given period of time, but, I have dipped as many as 3 times in a 12-hour period without a single issue. Had I dealt with all these problems...I would have surely scratched KBS from my list of things to do. But, like I stated earlier....how did I ever make it without it?

Single dip and hang. Looks great for first few hours then leave for the day. Come back next morning and the lure is ruined, Full of bubbles. It collects at the bottom of every vertical surface just like any other liquid top coat. It gets an annular ring around the bottom that is 4-5x thicker than the rest of the lure. I've even tried wiping these thicker areas with a dry paint brush. It still collects more and thicker there and then the bubbles. Even if you thin it with their thinner it's the same thing. 

Like I said the stuff looks great, it's got a 94 or higher gloss. It just is unuseable unless they figure out how to remove the bubbling issue. I've talked with them numerous times. I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary that anyone else doesn't do. I've heard reports from many many people of this. Just can't use it in commercial building because ruining potentially hundreds of lures at a time is unacceptable.  

I've always said with fishing lure finishes that what works for one doesn't work for another and this is apparently another case of this if you say you don't have this bubbling issue. 

When I dip n hang a lure...I don't get puddles!! Where does the stuff puddle on a vertical lure? I dipped a topwater lure yesterday that had deep eye sockets. I was hoping the KBS would stay and harden in there so they wouldn't be quite so deep. No such luck...it ran out and down the lure to the floor.

The only time I thin KBS is when I notice it getting a lil stiff after repeatedly opening the jar. I then thin it 20% with "#1" thinner...as Phil noted.

I don't try to crowd too many coats in a given period of time, but, I have dipped as many as 3 times in a 12-hour period without a single issue. Had I dealt with all these problems...I would have surely scratched KBS from my list of things to do. But, like I stated earlier....how did I ever make it without it?

I managed to sort things on most of the lure, the main issue I found was around facial details and where the bib joins the lure. I found it really hard to reduce the thickness in those areas and although the bubbles were not massive, they were there if you looked. Spoke at length with the manufacturer and they were not hiding from the fact that it bubbles. Nothing much you can do about it I was told other than reduce the thickness of the coating. Easier said than done in my view. Tried thinning up to 20% and still had some issues.

Best way I found to improve the results is to manage the drying process through two climate controlled containers. Nothing technical about it, put the first box undercover with some moisture absorbing crystals in it. Keep the container sealed at all times except for when you are moving lures in and out. This is the initial drying box where the lures stay until the correct number of layers is applied and then for another couple days after that. I measured the humidity in this box at less than 10% for my setup. The idea is that the curing process is slowed somewhat by the low humidity and allow the carbon dioxide to escape normally and prevent the bubbles, it just takes a couple more days than normal which is cool with me.

For the second box, again leave it sealed unless moving lures in and out. Leave this permanently outside in the sun with a glass of water in it. This will get both hot and humid, I measured 99% humidity in my box. After the lures have finished in the first container move them to the second box for the final cure, I leave mine for a week. That level humidity and temp should give them the best chance of curing.

Even with all that I still get some bubbles... I haven't been able to produce a bubbles free finish yet.

Angus

Man, I'm just mind boggled about why a moron like me seems to be doing everything right and so many others seem to be struggling with, what appears to me, to be a fool-proof product. Honestly, I have given this stuff every opportunity to fail. I've applied in temps that were not recommended and, down here in S. Louisiana, there aren't many times when there is low humidity. I've dipped lures when I had to close the shop door to keep the rain from blowin in. It's to the point where I'm baffled. :?

• Like 1

Like I said before...I've always said one thing that works for one doesn't always work for another. I've seen it many many times. Someone could say to me they paint their lures with createx, 30 minute devcon, and seal with banana juice, They show you a lure they caught 1800 bluefish on without a scratch. The next guy tries to emulate it and his paint and topcoat falls off after his wife looked at it. 

A little exaggerated but you get the idea. 

So no I haven't bought any product since it first came out since I don't use it, but what was it reformulated for? First I've heard of it. 

Man, I'm just mind boggled about why a moron like me seems to be doing everything right and so many others seem to be struggling with, what appears to me, to be a fool-proof product. Honestly, I have given this stuff every opportunity to fail. I've applied in temps that were not recommended and, down here in S. Louisiana, there aren't many times when there is low humidity. I've dipped lures when I had to close the shop door to keep the rain from blowin in. It's to the point where I'm baffled. :?

• Like 1