Ballin21

Hair, Fur, Etc, For This Type Of Jig!

Extra Select Craft Fur by Hareline Dubbin Company. Barlows has the biggest selection of craft fur that I know I know of, but the exact name is extra select. There are other kinds but they are hit and miss on the action so if you want the same stuff as the phat fly you need to get Extra Select craft Fur.

The ultra minnow is closer to that but I use the plain old minnow head for my float and fly jigs because I like the 1/16oz size that you can't get with the ultra minnow jig. The reason you can't use bucktail is due to the fact bucktail doesn't have the action craft fur has. If you never saw how good the action of craft fur is in the water, you need to, bucktail doesn't have much action, it basically creates a minnow like profile with a slight pulsing action but craft fur has a very fluid action with little movement from the jig.

• Like 1

Jannsnetcraft.com has extra select craft fur but, they only have about 9 colors here is the link if you wanna check it out http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fly-tying-fur-tails/650140.aspx

Now I want to buy some to try out.  Only if the Girlfriend understood. I think it would work great for the Summer time.

Edited by Mbirdsley

a vice to hold jig while tying. Thread, I try to match one of the colors of hair with the thread. Black thread always works with dark colors and white with lighter fur colors if you don't want a lot of thread lying around IMHO. a bobbin to hold thread and tie everything. I like 6/0 thread but, those look bigger than what I'm tying. A pair of scissors to cut fur and thread. Whip finisher or I just use several half hitch knots to finish jig. I use wasspi water based cement. One thing ive learned is you don't need to buy the most expensive fly tying equipment for tying jigs but, avoid buying the cheapest ( trust me on this). The one exception is the scissors pay the 20 bucks for some Dr. Slicks; I have not yet and I kick my self in the &@& every time I tie and half to use the cheap one that came in my kit.

Edited by Mbirdsley

Sorry I Should've been more specific. I have thread, a vice, and the basics, I tie my own jigs. Just wanted to know what everyone else uses. Thread type? Glue or cement type? Also these jigs are smaller jigs, with no bigger than a 1/0 hook.

I like using 140 denier flat waxed nylon, specifically Danville flymaster plus for my thread, it is plenty strong and grips tight and doesn't build up too fast. For head cement I use Sally Hansen's hard as nails and it is that brand, I've tried a few clear nail polishes and there is a difference, the Sally Hansen's is thinner and penetrates the threads really well because itt takes a bit longer for it to set up but it sets up harder than others I've tried.

• Like 1