Silo1688

Type Of Microwave

Hey everyone! I've been reading the posts over the last few weeks, and I've noticed some members are stating that microwaves greater than 1000 watts are better to heat plastic up because they do not create as many bubbles in the plastic. Do you guys know why this is? Or is it something that is just accepted. I do have an older microwave that is less than 1000 watts and I've noticed that I do get quite a bit of bubbles. I thought it was the way I was mixing my plastic or if I was mixing it too aggressively. I have been very careful to heat at the recommended temperature and slowly mix of plastic yet I still get bubbles. Initially I thought it was the plastic but now I read about the microwaves I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. Anyway a little insight would be appreciated and as always tight lines.

George

I've gotta agree.  I used the cheapest of the cheap microwaves and never had a problem with bubbles.  I'm guessing it's your plastic or maybe there's moisture entering somewhere.........

If anything, I would think having a higher wattage micro would actually create MORE bubbles.  I always liked to slowly build the heat up when cooking plastic. 

I use the Spikeit plastic that bubbles to no end if it is not put in a vacumn chamber first just before it is heated. That being said I use two 1200 watt microwaves and put it in for 7 minutes 30 seconds and do not stir it at all. When it comes out it is 340 degrees and no bubbles ever. Now here is one difference I do know. I put colorant after heating and some of the colors will bubble the perfect plastic I had. This is more of an issue with thinner colorants that are available from some company's. I only have a few more colors that I use like that and am in the process of weeding them out. So here is another thing to look out for when looking for a solution for bubbles. I know my microwaves very very well and use them a lot so take my times with a grain of salt. Each has to learn there own experiance with there microwave.

• Like 1

I use the Spikeit plastic that bubbles to no end if it is not put in a vacumn chamber first just before it is heated. That being said I use two 1200 watt microwaves and put it in for 7 minutes 30 seconds and do not stir it at all. When it comes out it is 340 degrees and no bubbles ever. Now here is one difference I do know. I put colorant after heating and some of the colors will bubble the perfect plastic I had. This is more of an issue with thinner colorants that are available from some company's. I only have a few more colors that I use like that and am in the process of weeding them out. So here is another thing to look out for when looking for a solution for bubbles. I know my microwaves very very well and use them a lot so take my times with a grain of salt. Each has to learn there own experiance with there microwave.

Exact setup I am using as well Frank, Heat in the micro and transfer to pots. 

I use Do Its essential series plastisol, it has very very few bubbles.

Yes some plastic has much less bubbles but my point was when you add sometihing from another company you could end up with bubbles. So paying a premium price for something that could end up with bubbles any ways is something to consider. Microwaves are hard on plastic and could cause bubbles but additives could cause them too.

Sorry, I have a 1000W unit and I set it for 80%.  I stir often, but not hard, and I never get bubbles.  Something else is going on, but I get clear, bubble free results.

If you think microwaves are hard on plastics, you should see what happens with the metal pans we use to use.  Slow, uniform, controlled heating is required for best results.