dchance

Anybody Do A Guard Similar To M-Pack Structure Guard?

I made some using weed wacker line.  It is a little stiffer than his jig guards, but it seems to work.  I say that because it has let me fish through trees without getting hung up.  Unfortunately, I haven't gotten bitten yet, so I don't know if it works yet.

Mark Pack posted here earlier that he has a patent on the weed guard, so don't try and sell a similar jig without being sure it doesn't violate or infringe on his patent.

Oh no. Not selling. Mainly just curiosity. Curious how stiff it is and if something stiffer lime tje weed eater line impedes hooksets

As I said, I don't know yet, because I haven't gotten bitten yet.

But the idea is really clever, and helps make jigs fish through timber much better.  

I got hung up once, but just the tip of the hook stuck, and I pulled it free by getting over it and pulling straight up by hand.  When I got it back, the weed guard had rotated to the side, but the skirt rubber band was still in place, and had kept the hook from sticking too deeply.  I did not set on the tree, so it didn't/couldn't penetrate too much.

I just hope it doesn't do the same with fish!

That Mark Pack guy is pretty smart, even if he does fish with Gary Dobyns!