LimpNoodle

Bending And Looping .051 Wire?

I'm building some heavy duty umbrella rigs for striper fishing.  I'd like to use at least .051 wire.  I have the Twistech and the Hagen wire bending tools.  Is there any other tool out there that can make loops in wire this heavy?  The Twistech limits at .041 and the Hagen is a pain to use and doesn't create a nice tight coil like the Twistech.

Thanks.

Like smalljaw mentioned Hagens is about aw good as it gets. However if none of these tools work for you you can make your own wire bending fixture. It will be time consuming to make, but it will be what you want. All you will need is a plate of aluminum, drill press and some hardened dowels. The dowels can be any size you want to suit your needs. This way you can place them where you want and can be customized  to what you want the final outcome to be.

I too own a twistech, i believe you can order components to make it compatible with larger sizes. I found one conversion kit from .38 to .41 on janns netcraft. i would bet they have it to go bigger. Or you could make your own out of some 1/4" steel or the sort, just copy the exact little front piece that does the final twisting part.  :twocents: For some reason ive been messing around with wire lately too. I bought some .63 which is much bigger that i thought, so now im making split rings and spreader bars with it. :D .

• Like 1

Twistech only goes to .041 with the adapter kit.  It's the only kit available.  I know the guy who owns Poulson Cascade, we worked together years ago.  I wish they made a kit for it that would go to .051.

There are a couple of items that would need to be changed.  The forming stage for the eye won't accept .051 wire, and the wrap die would also need to be changed.