Doc-Drew

Photography Question

Hey guys I have a question and hopefully someone can help me out. When I take pictures of my custom painted lures I take them on a mirror with the flash (to black everything else out). The problem is, subtle features are washed out, it creates a glare, and colors aren't accurate. I attached a picture for example.

image.jpg

As you can see, the chartreuse sides have almost a pastel look in the front of the bait and the lateral line is hardly visible.

My question is how do you guys take pictures so the colors and features are accurate? Thanks for the help in advance!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

post-47113-0-09112100-1425045757_thumb.jpg

Ditch the flash and use supplemental lighting.    I typically end up using a make shift photo box.  It is a cheap laundry basket, folding, constructed of the mesh.  It helps filter the light and distribute it to remove glare/hot spots.  I will lay different paper to filter or distribute the lighting as needed to try and avoid a lot of shadows.  I think some shadows are needed as it helps to be more 3D and not as sterile.  First pic used different thickness of paper to try and make the  white to blue fade background, tried getting all white for the second and my crank pic didn't diffuse the light properly as I have several spots of glare.

jig1.jpg

centipede2.jpg

Craw-1-1.jpg

Edited by Travis

Lots of good advice above.

I would only add that a reasonable photo processor would be nice, for tuning the colors to how you want them. You don't have to pay for one, there are older versions of Photoshop available for download on the web.

Don't try and fill the screen, otherwise focusing depth of field becomes an issue. Better to shoot from further back and crop the image with the above same software. If you are using the image on the web or just your computer screen, the camera will likely give you too many pixels anyway.

Dave

Thanks for the advice guys.  I will try to mess around with the lighting.  I was hoping that I wouldn't have to buy anything but since the lighting in my house is yellow-ish I may have to get at least a spot light to get a "true" color.

I would only add that a reasonable photo processor would be nice, for tuning the colors to how you want them. You don't have to pay for one, there are older versions of Photoshop available for download on the web.

Vodkaman, I was also hoping not to have to alter pictures (just trying to avoid the extra step) but if that is what I have to do to get the quality I want, I will definitely give it a try.  

Keep the advice coming guys!  One can never have too much knowledge!

Here's a couple things I've tried with some success. 

They say the flash is good up to about 10 feet, but you're right, if you get too close, it washes everything out badly.  One thing I did, was to back up three or four feet and then use the zoom to get in with a tight shot.  This seems to allow the flash to dissipate a bit and not saturate the close up so badly.

The other thing I tried was to put a piece, or possibly a couple pieces, of tissue paper over the flash in an attempt to take a little of the harshness out of the flash.  Of the two possibilities, this worked better than backing away from the piece as it allowed me to stay relatively close and I could still get all the detail I wanted.

I was using a point and shoot style camera, so there's not quite as many things to mess with as opposed to an SLR style.

Here's how you can take better pics without having to buy anything extra. I also use a mirror to place my baits on when taking photos of them and this is what I do. To avoid the glare you get from the flash, as well as any external lighting such as lamps, place your baits in such a way that the picture is being taken at a slight angle. This way the light will be reflected away from your camera. To soften the effect of the flash even more hold a piece of toilet paper over the flash. This will remove help to remove any glare caused by the flash.

All this is done much easier if you have a tripod and a camera with a timer. The timer will allow you to hold the toilet paper over the flash as well as remove any blurry images caused by moving the camera.

Ben

Yes, the standard house lighting is going to give you a yellow cast, but this is so easy and quick to correct with software.

There may well be a setting on the camera for this. It is called the daylight setting. Each type of light has a different temperature. There should be a light bulb setting which will correct the yellow cast without you having to edit. Remember to switch back when you are finished.

If you would like me to edit one or two, to show you what is possible, send me a PM and I will give you my email addy.

DAve