Jaw

Shaky Head Jig Mold

What do-it mold would you guys recommend for a shaky head in the 1/8 and 1/4 oz size preferably in a 2/0 to 3/0 hook size with a barbed collar. There are so many molds that it's hard to decide. I'm not opposed to modifying one but wondering what stock mold you would use. Although the hook size is a little off I'm thinking of ordering the do-it rhb-8-48. What do you think?

You can use the SRH-6-A which is a shaky head mold, it doesn't use screw locks and instead it uses a ring and barb. The thing is you can either use a flat eye 60 degree hook or a 90 degree Gamakatsu 604 hook, it goes from 1/6oz up to 3/8oz. It calls for 3/0 to 5/0 but I would think you could use a 2/0 if you wanted too in the smaller cavities as I've done that in my mold with the screw locks. I know screw locks take an extra second or 2 to rig but I've tried all kind of shaky heads before making my own and nothing held the worm like a screw lock unless you use Z-man plastics.  So, that is the mold made for shaky heads, I hope it will work for you, good luck.

Thanks smalljaw I'll look into it. There are so many variations that it's frustrating sometimes. I don't pour much just some jigs for myself and a few friend, so I was surprised when I looked at all the options and even more surprised when I couldn't find one exactly how I wanted it but I only got to look in one location before I asked this question. I did order the mold I mentioned and I'll just modify it if I don't like it or order the one you mentioned. I'm not a big fan of the screw lock on a jig seems I tear up more baits with it. Thanks again

What's the deal with Zman plastics? This is the second time in two days I've seen someone mention them in regards to the screw locs. I haven't used Zman baits before myself.

The plastic that Z-Man uses is what the old Terminator snap back plastics and the Strike King 3X baits were made with. They call it "Elaztec" and no matter how hard you push, you can get the screw lock to penetrate and then screw on the lock, it just doesn't work. I have been told that if you heat the screw lock with a lighter for a few seconds it will work but that is a pain, I'll just stick to normal soft plastics. BTW, I had the old Terminator snap back plastic worms, they ruined a boat carpet and made a mess out of a bunch of baits as they react and will turn to goo any other soft plastic they touch or if you leave them in direct sunlight, nasty stuff that I will not use anymore.

Hi guys,

I have the do it shaky football mold. I would like an ewg flat eye hook. Are my choices mustad 38109 and the trokar hook? Does eagle claw make an ewg hook for this mold? Thanks a lot!

Also, i have been having problems with this mold even after heating the hooks the lead is really wobbly on the hook. Anyone have any tips?

Edited by micro

I have the 1/0 and they are large!!!! The wire is to thick and I can pour a 1/2oz football head but there is still flashing as the mold won't close. I got samples of the 2405 and the 3014 and it is how I ended up with the 3014 which only came in a 1/0 but was a large as my 4/0 hooks, I don't know why they sized them like that but they did.

They are big, I had to email them and ask if they sent the right hook. I was really hoping for a nice size 1 or even a 1/0 60 degree flat eye hook. VMC makes one, I think it is a 6148 or 6348 but I can't find any place that will sell it or even has it, I believe it is made for their hair jig which is what I want it for.