Darkman

What Are You Looking For In A Shakey Head

Before I got a shaky head mold I fished with all kinds, from Fin-Tech title shot that had a barb keeper to a VMC dominator head with a wire keeper and then I used a Buckeye spot remover, a Bagley shaky head which looks like the new Z-man head and then a Cumberland Pro lures round head shaky jig. After using all of them I found the simple round head with screw lock and a flat eye hook is what worked best for me, the disadvantage of the screw lock are that they take an extra second or two to rig and they don't work well with the elaztec type plastic in Z-Man and Strike King 3X plastic. What I love about them is they hold the worm better than the plastic spikes, wire keepers and barbs on the hook shank. Stand up heads in small sizes like 1/16oz and 1/8oz didn't make much difference in my fishing and one of my requirements is having a 1/16oz, it is deadly in cold water with a 4.5" worm. After my time of using all this stuff, which was a full 3 seasons, I decided to get a Do-it Shaky head mold with a wire keeper and flat eye hooks as it was close to the exact bait that Cumberland Pro Lures had and I've been very happy with these but if you like a barb then maybe the shaky head with a ring and barb might work for you.

I have tried most of them and my favorite is the Do-It football jighead one with the wire screw. Now I do wish it has a 3/16oz cavity but I use 1/8oz most of the time. The football head helps it stand up a little better and the screw lock works better than the other alternatives for me. One thing I will add is I use a 4/0 flat eye hook instead of the 3/0 as it just seems to help with hook-up ratio.

Allen

I have tried most of them and my favorite is the Do-It football jighead one with the wire screw. Now I do wish it has a 3/16oz cavity but I use 1/8oz most of the time. The football head helps it stand up a little better and the screw lock works better than the other alternatives for me. One thing I will add is I use a 4/0 flat eye hook instead of the 3/0 as it just seems to help with hook-up ratio.

Allen

I use a 5/0 and like the 1/16 ounce best, however I also use both traditional ball heads. The original ball heads have a different fall if rigged correctly, that works well for suspended fish.

Edited by dblades
  • Like 1