barrybait

Glue/adhesive For Foiling

Yesterday I attempted my first two hard bait foiling projects.  Read all the posts after searching 'foiling' but there is just nothing like actually doing it that brings up a few questions.  I went to Hobby Lobby and bought imitation silver foil, the "Spray It" Permanent Metal Leaf Adhesive, and the Spray It Metal Leaf Sealer.  Instructions on the can of adhesive were simple.  Spray adhesive, apply metal leaf while adhesive still wet, Spray Sealer over finished foiling.

My main troubling aspect of this process is...How does the adhesive dry under the foil?  Reading the posts, whether it is water based or volatile compound seems like if you put it on a sealed bait, and cover it with foil, it is going to stop curing/drying.  If I used a 2 part mix like D2T of course it will finish curing but other glues/adhesives seems like I just put the lid back on the jar when I apply the foil.  Contact adhesive  on other applications where you spray both parts, let dry, then press together also makes sense to me.

My next trouble is....Controlling the amount of adhesive on the bait.  I sprayed it on and could barely see it but I was watching the spray pattern and sprayed it on some paper first for coverage and it seemed about right.  I could tell when applying the foil leaf that the glue underneath the foil was getting pushed around causing me an undesirable effect. On the second bait it degraded a nice scale pattern, made it lumpy.  Spray adhesive, seems you can't adjust so I'm leaning toward water based brush application so I can get a nice thin coat ready for the leaf but I am also back to the first problem, how does it dry under foil.

My second bait with the scales, I hung overnight in the house.  It firmed up but "glue" bubbles can be pushed around indicating there is still uncured adhesive underneath.  I thought that the leaf being so fragile that by lightly tapping and pushing it into place with the soft bristle brush I might actually be breaking it slightly over the scales or actually poking holes in it with the brush which would let the leaf 'breath' enough to cure but that didn't happen.

Thanks in advance for any advise to help get this de-railed train back on the tracks,

Barry

Thanks Jaw.  I  can see the advantages of that.  I went with leaf thinking it would be better for the crisp scale pattern.  Would the tape conform to a cut scale pattern well?

Hurley.  Yeah I figured you didn't see my post when you started yours.  I may try the 3M.  Right now I am considering using either D2T or Solarez with the MEKP and maybe get all the excess glue or air out for a crisp detail.  Haven't heard of anyone doing that yet.  Got the cheap aluminum foil now too but haven't got the tape yet to try.  The leaf will conform.  The extra just breaks off but it is not like smooth chrome when you get done, it is more like crushed chrome.

Not sure how well the tape would conform to scales already carved or cast into the bait but I would assume it would have wrinkling issues and lose detail. I have just applied a scale pattern to the foil prior to applying it to the bait

BarryBait & Hurley here is one that I foiled without losing details of the scales. The secret was after forming the scale pattern, put a layer of http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/13860-3d-foiled-dean-helton/

Here is how it was done, post #25

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/29011-making-3d-scales/page-2

• Like 1

Thanks John.  I followed your progress with the foil scales.  Nice job.  The scales I am doing are on the bait itself.  I am making some progress.  I used kitchen foil on one bait and it formed pretty well.  I am trying leaf on the other so I can compare the two.

I completed two ABT Glide Baits and posted the pictures in the hardbait gallery.  First one I attached cheap kitchen foil to the bait with Solarez/MEKP and the other one I attached imitation silver leaf with D2T.  They turned out pretty well but I like the silver leaf better for the silver sided trout look.  Sorry I don't know how to link the pics I posted.