MA50N

Just Started And Need Some Help

I recently got into making my own baits and i am having a few small problems. I have to glue in the weedguards after painting and the glue seems to always produce a white residue that makes my paint job look like crap. Any suggestions on getting those weedguards in without killing my paintjob. Also, I am not able go get the weedguard in without drilling. It is a 1/8 base pin and I use 1/8 weedguards but will not go, especially after painting, any ideas?

I had the same issues as you when I started. Do yourself a favor and read all you can. I bought the teflon base pins from lurepartsonline.com. Pour your jigs with teflon pins in. Then powder paint with teflon pins in. Cook paint without the pins and finally epoxy the weedguards in with devcon 30 minute epoxy.

Super glue is what turns white....and no 5 minute it turns yellow.

You didn't say how you were painting the jigs but if you're using a fluid bed you will HAVE to use Teflon pins.  I purchased bulk Teflon rod and made my own pins for cheap.

I don't cast with the Teflon in place but use the standard base pin.  I then push the Teflon pin in to paint.  The fit is pretty tight even using a Teflon pin.  Keep a 1/8" drill bit handy to loosen the hole if you need to.

I recently got into making my own baits and i am having a few small problems. I have to glue in the weedguards after painting and the glue seems to always produce a white residue that makes my paint job look like crap. Any suggestions on getting those weedguards in without killing my paintjob. Also, I am not able go get the weedguard in without drilling. It is a 1/8 base pin and I use 1/8 weedguards but will not go, especially after painting, any ideas?

Welcome to TU.  A lot of excellent info above. To get rid of the white powdery residue, either use D2T 30 minute epoxy or put a fan on your jigs when your weedguards are drying from super glue. The fan will flash off the cyocryanate (spelling) faster. Definitely use teflon pull pins for painting  and also if your weedguards are still too tight, pull off a few strands. Pm me your e-mail and I will send you a tutorial on powder painting and pull pins.

Thanks for all the help guys! I've watched videos on YouTube and read some material but nothing in depth like I'm getting here about the specific info I need. Maybe soon I can get some help with the style h spinnerbait I got too cause it's not going good at all, lol.

Hello Mas.. I take and put a rubber skirt collar about a half inch up from the loose ends. Then take and roll the rub collar to make that end as round as you can and do this so each jig has been fitted with its own weed guard. You shouldn't try and put the solid end in the hole it will drive you crazy !!!! When this is done you then mix up your 2 Ton and you can just pick up each jig, pull the WG and dip the end in your 2T, reinsert your WG spin it twice after it hits bottom and your done. Put jig in some kind of drying rack and leave it alone for a day. Weed guards should fit perfect doing it this way and won't lean one way our the other. Have fun and have a good day. STEVE

If you don't use epoxy to glue your weed guard in then try loc-tite super glue GEL!!! It is important to use the GEL because it won't wick up the weed guard and you get any excess up by being careful with a rag. After you get use to the GEL you won't have any excess coming out of the hole and as the others have already told you, ues the Teflon pins when you dip into powder paint, it will keep the hole open. Good Luck.

• Like 1