Hurley

Attaching Foil

I am struggling to apply foil on my baits. I also cant find solid info on this topic. I tried to cut out, scale, then apply. I could not get it to round the top and bottom to my liking. And trying to get it tight to the bait without smoothing the scale effect was very tough. Maybe its because my baits are pretty wide. But i figured there has got to be a better way. I am looking for any input.

There are far more experienced foilers on here than me but I have found if I extend the foil to far past where the bait body starts to round I have more problems getting the wrinkles out. I try to cut my foil where it just makes it to where the side ends and the top begins this seems to work better for me. Hope that makes sense

Yes, that makes sense. The problem is the baits I make are fairly rounded. Definetly not flat sided.

I have several hours on youtube and nothing has solved my issue. I did not get good results searching this site. Thats why I asked.

I foiled a few baits did not have any problems. If the baits are really round you will have problems, just the way it is, flatter baits or even longer curved baits are doable. what most guys will do is make the sides of the bait with aluminum foil that you will find in the kitchen, make your cut outs the spray them with 3m glue lightly, I use popsicle sticks on each end of the foil to align on the bait and gently lay it down, than use a sponge and gently press and smooth out, than use a smooth rounded tool to smooth out the edges. One of the secrets to get the edges not to appear when you paint clear coat the edges and the foil than paint the shoulders and belie you will not se the edges. I learned this from Solar Fall his name is Mikko He has a tutorial on doing foil on TU and a all bunch of other valuable information, go to Member Submitted Tutorials and you will find it. Mikko is one of the very best

Gino

I assume you are foiling the sides of the bait and not onto the shoulders or the belly, which are usually painted and not foiled anyway.  I have always used self-adhesive foil like Brite-Bak silver foil designed for stained glass artists.  But I hear they are no longer making it.  An adhesive foil is much easier to smooth out and to apply scale effect after application BUT your basic problem is you're trying to apply pre-scaled foil on a bait without flat sides.  I just don't think there's any way to do that without burnishing out the scale effect.  

Try the hvac foil that you can purchase just about anywhere . The roll I'm using was purchased at Fred's. Like stated above the rounder the bait the harder it is to maintain scale detail because you have to work the wrinkles out. I haven't foiled near as many baits as alot of the guys here but I get my best results by applying my foil to the point where the sides break over both at the top and belly of the bait the burnishing out any wrinkles with something round like my exacto knife handle then I use solarez to build up over the foil edge.

I have some adhesive foil tape bit I didnt use it because it's pretty thick. I might give this a shot before I give up.

I am applying the foil after my baits are sealed with d2t. With such a hard base I did not have success applying the scales after. You guys are just confirming what I was hoping a simple trick will solve.

When I mentioned you tube, I too wanted to know how to do this. But I hadn't been on there looking for it lately. So I went to you tube to try and find the very good one that I watched, and it is not on there anymore. Or at least I couldn't find it.

The one I watched the guy used 3 m contact adhesive, and rounded over the corners with a curved handle on his scisors.

I tried it and it does work. If you use a sponge and don't apply much presure on the foil you will not smooth out the details.  But it does take some practice like any thing else.

Here's My 2 Cents

To Make It Easy Used Either - Shurtape AF912 (From Lowes) and/or BriteBak (Order It On-Line.

1. Cut 2 Strips Length Of Your Bait.

2. Take A Sharpie , Turn One Of The Strips Over (Brown Peel Side) Lay Your bait Down , Just Draw Shape Of The baits Body.

3. The 2 Strips You Cut , Put Them Together Foil to Foil , Cut Your Pattern Out , Now You Have Your 2 Sides Cut Out.

4. Peel Off One Side and Center It , Push It Down , Now Take The Smooth Round Side Of

( I Use A Exacto Knife) and Press Down The Foil , Don't Worry About Wrinkles.

4 A. If You Don't Get It Centered , Just Pull The Foil Off and Center It Again.

5. Now Take The Exacto Knifes Rough Side and Roll It Over Your Foil , This Will Create Your Scales As Well Hide Your Wrinkles.

6. The Above Is How You Do Your Top and Bottom Of The Bait.

7. Its Going To Take Time For You To Get To The Point Where You Will Get Good At Doing This.

8. This Is How I Foil All My Baits , I Do Leave The Top Of My Baits Smooth At Times.

I'm Not The Best At This , But Like I Said , My 2 Cents.

Mike

Edited by MikePaintsBaits

For kitchen foil mark around your bait with plenty of hangover to over the top and bottom

apply the scale pattern, I assume you have no issues with this part so i`ll leave it there

now apply a thin even film of 5 minute epoxy over one side of the bait wait 2-3 mins

place the foil on the bait and apply light pressure with a sponge pressing light but evenly 

leave for an hour and do the other side, the top and bottom of the bait can be smoothed over with a blunt object tapping down anything thats sticks up.

epoxy with etex so that the overlapping is well covered, paint top and bottom of the bait to cover the joins and finish the bait as needed with two final coats of etex, it gets easier with practise like everything else.

I just finished two baits that I foiled. Thanks to all the tips they turned out pretty good. I had two issues. The first one is that my d2t over the foil had some haze to it. I am assuming it is because I applied it to thick because I have never noticed this issue before. The second issue is my paint. It did not "stick" to the bait as good as I am used to because I did not rough up the finish before paint. Normally I rough it up and do a base coat. I am sure this will get better with practice. 

I use candy foil, cut so that just a little over will overlap on the back and belly. I use plain old waterproof stick glue un the foil and the body prior to applying the foil to the bait. I then use a burnishing tool to smooth out and wrinkles etc. The foil is very thin and smooths well. I then use a piece of knurled steel, I.E. maybe the end of a ratchet, to make the scale pattern. All this prior to the glue drying all the way. I then cover with D2T prior to painting. JMHO. Good luck. 

I use Brite Bak foil, and do a belly/sides/top three piece approach.

I also use a knurled tool handle to add scale afterward, and then three dips in AC1315, to seal and even out any joints.

I have sprayed transparent fog coats over my foil without problems, but I don't want to diminish the flash with paint most of the time.

• Like 1

I finished two ABT Glide Baits and posted pics in the Hard Bait Gallery.  First one is kitchen foil type attached with Solarez/MEKP.  Second is imitation silver leaf attached with D2T.  The leaf resulted in a better silver side of a trout look in my opinion. The kitchen foil looks more like it was chromed.  Sorry I don't know how to link my pics.

Barry