Acuna

Lee 10 Lb Vs. 20 Lb. Bottom Pour Pots

I was looking around on the internet and the 20 pound pots have an adjustable flow.  

Do you find them to be more reliable than the 10 pound pots? It has been crazy difficult to work with my 10 pound pot due to clogging issues in the valve.

The only other pot I have is an RCBS which is a 20 lb pot. But I use this when I'm pouring big orders of 1 oz jigs. It cuts down on the lead refill time. It is an excellent pot but it costs around $400. I know Lee has some 20 lb pots as well, but have never used them. I have also used the Palmer hot pot. Another excellent hand held pot, but it gets heav holding all that lead in the pot, and the ease of getting burned is too great. Once you buy one let us know how it works.

I had the Lee Pro 4 20 furnace and had a ton of issues with clogging, dripping, and inconsistency.  I spent more time working on my furnace than I did actually pouring lead.  I sold it and bought the RCBS Pro Melt.  Best investment you can make if you pour a lot.  I have not had to do anything to make this furnace work for the last two years and I have put close to 200 lbs of lead through it.

• Like 1

I can't compare the two as the only bottom pour I've used is the 20lb. I love it and haven't had any problems with it that weren't easy to fix. I also ladle pour with the small lee precision melter and consider it one of the best investments I've made.

Had the Lee 10 and had tons of problems.  Got the Lee 20 and had the exact same problems.  Got the RCBS, put the same lead in it and it's perfect.  Only real gripe with the RCBS is that the nozzle is of a size where pouring small jigs takes a quick hand.  Fully adjustable flow.

While the RCBS does cost a bit it's a once in a lifetime purchase.  Look around and you can get them delivered for around $350.  Amazon has them for $368 delivered.

• Like 1

I'll echo everyone here in that the RCBS is the best furnace you can get but I have to tell you, since I started buying my lead from rotometals and breaking it down in a small ladle pour furnace, I haven't had clogging issues, just the occasional drip and maybe I got a freakishly good furnace but all of mine are like that but my lead is good and it makes a difference.

The promelt is also backed by RCBS. If you have an issue, they will send you parts to fix it for free. I bought one used and screwed up putting acid core solder in an empty pot. Started leaking like crazy. They sent me a brand new pot and valve rod. Haven't had one drip since. Liked it so much I bought a brand new one for me and one for my brother to help me catch up on sinker making. I run around 1/2 of lead per year in each without any drips or clogs. Great investment in my book