Dutchgfx

Lurecraft Molds, Are They Decent? And Pop Vs Silicone

Hey guys, I'm a new member here, just started to pour my own baits. I have been making some plaster of Paris molds and sealing them with mod podge, and the molds are decent. I am interested in the 10" and 6" sluggo molds from lure craft, will these be pretty much replicas of the real slugo? I'm also worried that my baits won't come out shiny when using the lure craft molds. My baits come out sort of shiny from the plaster molds, but not that shiny.

Also, I'm wondering if Silicone molds are better than PoP molds. It is much more expensive to produce them, so I want to make sure it's worth it. Thanks a bunch!

I am sure everyone will have differant opinions. What you are doing now is good, and will help you get all your designs down before moving on to what I think is extremely better, silicone. Once you have all the kinks out of your lures you designed, RTV silicone gives you some great one pc molds. These molds will give shiney lures as long as your masters are done slick. (non porous)

2 pc molds can be done with differant materials as well as RTV and come out nice. Make sure to make those fit 5/8" injectors they use now.

RTV molds you make could be much much better quality than many you could buy.

I made a 2 piece ronz mold and it turned out really well. I shoved it into the top of the bottom pour of plaster about halfway, then let it harden and poured another layer. Since the ronz is flat on the top, I cut the side of my mold until I reached the top of the lure, and now I just stand the mold on its back side and pour vertically.

Thanks for all your help!

• Thanks 1

I started with a 2lb silicon kit and that was fun, it hurt when the shapes I made were not quite right, to a certain extent the silicon is recyclable but it’s still is the biggest expense in the process. But I switch over to  Durham’s( a POP equivalent) I figure there are two skills I need to learn. making the masters, and making the molds, and that is much more doable with the cheaper materials. As I collect shapes I like and catch fish with then I will upgrade the mold material  to get a more refined look or use an injector vs open pour. I am still in play mode get an idea, make a shape in modeling clay and make a mold and pour some.

So I started pouring today with a gallon of plastic from Spike-It Outdoors. I got the medium strength, but my lures seem VERY soft and wiggly, nothing like any production bait I have used. They also seem to be sort of sticky on the outside, any help? Maybe it's just garbage plastisol?

So I started pouring today with a gallon of plastic from Spike-It Outdoors. I got the medium strength, but my lures seem VERY soft and wiggly, nothing like any production bait I have used. They also seem to be sort of sticky on the outside, any help? Maybe it's just garbage plastisol?

Did you make sure to mix it well?  There is usually hardener that has settled to the bottom that REALLY needs to be mixed well before pouring.  Very common mistake for new pourers............

Oh no.  The tiny bubble issue has raised its head again...  I have been using LW plastic for quite some time.  The bubble can be problematic.  However,  if you heat up at half power it helps.  It takes longer to heat up but that's what I do.  I also do most of my pouring in Lee Pots so if there are some bubbles they rise to the top after a little time.  After heating you can let plastic sit for a bit and allow the bubbles to rise then just use a spoon to scoop them out.

Shake/mix well. I use a combo of soft and hard for my plastics.  I experienced for the first time what happened to you.  It was a few days since I poured last and mixed up my soft plastic in 5 gal bucket.  I just scooped some out and poured without remixing and the baits were super soft and didn't harden up....Dummy me, I should have mixed it again.. 

Well it seems they are a bit harder after shaking the container. But now I have one more problem remaining, my plastisol never gets clear. There are always millions of little tiny air bubbles.

I use Do-Its Essential Series Plastisol. I have found that it has the least amount of bubbles in any plastisol i have bought.

I have been using Do-it's crystal clear for awhile now and just got my first (box) of Essential Series Haven't shot much with it but so far I really like it. I have only heated a few 1/2 cups in micro, will try heating a bigger batch tomorrow in my presto-pot to shoot some tubes,so far it seems to have less smell,so my wife tells me