Jaw

Do-It Weedless Sparkie Jig Hooks

I purchased this mold from a friend and also some eagle claw hooks he had for the mold. I want to use these jigs for flipping/pitching but the hooks seem to short to my liking. I poured a few but I'm not satisfied with the hooks so what other hooks would you recommend that will fit the mold and be have a longer shank and wider gap

I think you mean a 32786 Cadman, the 32886 is a 30 degree hook.

Smalljaw, I have this info in my catalog. I have to verify this, but I believe that I can put a 32886 hook in there as well with no mods. This is a very shallow jig head, and many hooks fit in this mold. I will check tonight and make sure that my post is correct.

Edited by cadman

Smalljaw, I have this info in my catalog. I have to verify this, but I believe that I can put a 32886 hook in there as well with no mods. This is a very shallow jig head, and many hooks fit in this mold. I will check tonight and make sure that my post is correct.

I just went off the catalog info and I'm sorry if I'm wrong which I may be, but I figured the 30 degree wouldn't work in a 60 degree mold but like I said, I could be wrong.

I just went off the catalog info and I'm sorry if I'm wrong which I may be, but I figured the 30 degree wouldn't work in a 60 degree mold but like I said, I could be wrong.

The catalog I was referring to was the one on my website. The only reason I am checking this again, is because you questioned it, and maybe I am giving my customers the wrong information, which is the last thing I want to do. Also if they asked me for that hook, then I would have to back pedal and come up with an excuse why it doesn't work. I don't like to lie to people, just not good business practice. So anyway, as you see in my pic below, the hooks do work. Actually I like them better than the 60 degree, because the bend in the hook eye by the shank makes fore easier lead pouring, since it isn't sitting so close to the sprue hole like it would on a 60 degree hook. The 60 degree hook it calls for is limited to the sizes written on the cavities on the mold as there is very little room for swapping sizes in this mold. If you look at the pic, the 5/8 oz cavity has a 5/0 #32886 hook and the 1/4 oz cavity has a 5/0 #91768 hook. Also any and all of the 5/0 hooks in any combination will fit in any of those cavities, without mold mods and/or hook mods. The only drawback as you can see is the 5/0 hook in the 1/4 oz cavity, is closer to the weedguard hole opening, making for a shallower weedguard install. This has never been an issue for me. Once the weedgurd is epoxied, it is not falling out. So if you want an EWG style 5/0 hook in a 1/4 oz cavity, the #91768 hook will fit the bill. The only reason I bring all of this up is, because many guys I deal with all want a variety of different hooks in all kind of head styles and weight classes, I'm sure you can attest to that as well. So, I started experimenting with trying different hooks in different molds, and this one happened to work. Naturally many of the smaller #32886 and #91768 hooks fit as well in all of these cavities. This is just some info for guys that want an EWG hook in this mold more than anything else. Finally I'm glad you called me on this, because if I were wrong, I would look like a real dumb a$$ and I would have to change my catalog again. It sucks getting old, because I am always second guessing myself.  Hope this helps some of you down the road.

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

post-13040-0-84430300-1425942289_thumb.jpg

Edited by cadman

Cadman,

In the smaller size, it looks like the hook really cuts down the available space for the weedguard.

As I noted yes it does.  However I do have a 5/0 hook in a 1/4 oz cavity, not the normal hook you would put in there, but it does fit. Now if you want to be creative like me, I take the 91768 hook, and slightly bend the hook at the shank by the hook eye bend. This solves that problem The hook doesn't break and you get more weedguard hole depth. Takes all but 5 seconds max. to do this to a hook and you are only bending it an additional 2 + degrees. There are many ways to solve a lot of problems as far as fit goes in many molds.

Edited by cadman

Thanks Cadman, I should have known,  that profile is similar to the weedless banana jig and I can use 60 or 90s and a wide variety of styles and sizes. I need to watch that kind of thing in the future, thanks.

Fishermen want all kind of different hooks in a lot of molds, some work and some don't . This all started, when one of my customers wanted an EWG hook in the sparkie head. I told him that there were other heads more suitable for this. However he had to have this head . I don't know why, however it all worked out in the long run. Naturally the alternative is modifying a mold, which many don't want to pay for, but only want 10 jigs, so go figure.