Fishhead15

Factory Eye Removal, Any Cool Tricks?

I have a few baits that I want to repaint, and I am wondering if there are any ways to get the factory eyes off the bait?  I thought there was a thread about this before, but I cant find it using the search function...

I don't care if the eyes get messed up since I plan to replace them anyway.  Up to this point i have been covering them with tape, but that doesn't always end up clean.

thanks

Eric

Exacto knife usually works for me. I have a set that has many of the triangular shaped blades that go to a point. Only done a few, but I was even able to reuse them. The ones I did were 3d eyes. Not sure about flat eyes.

Edited by Gman24

thanks for your replies.  I have been using a hole punch and painters tape, but the eyes I have to remove are smaller.  I tried tracing a 5 mm split ring and cutting with the exacto knife, but those were too small and I couldn't cut a good circle...ended up with irregular edges.  I need to practice or get a sharper blade or both....

the bait is a river2sea S-waver and the eyes are a little bit recessed and at an angle, which made simply prying them out difficult...but, I ended up hitting them with a heat gun for a few seconds on each side to soften the glue and was able to pry them loose that way.  have to be careful with this as I noticed the factory paint starting to wrinkle if I held the heat gun in one place too long.

Eric