Tfeuts

Ratio Of Segment Size

Hello to everybody out there! hope the winter has treated everybody well, I know I am ready to get some lines wet up here in the Northeast. New to TU and the lure making world so here is my question, I started making a lure to mimic my favorite saltwater bait and I decided I wanted to turn it into a multi-jointed swimbait, is there a "rule" or ratio I should follow when making the different segments? I want to make sure it has the proper "S" swimming action and figured the size of each segment would make a difference. Tried doing a few searches but came up with nothing so if i missed it some direction would be appreciated! 

Thank you for any info you can provide!

Tight lines

Your best bet is to look through the gallery or search the web for images and measure. You can even simply measure off your computer screen to get ratio information.

I know some people use a 2:1:1:1 ratio. Personally, I use 3:2:2:2 ration and had a

with it.

Dave

• Like 1

There is nothing to force a lipless swimbait down the water column, so your lure is going to be swimming high. I like to ballast mine as a suspender and very slightly nose down, so I can at least get under the surface.

If your bait is not ballasted to at least close to neutral buoyancy, you are going to be cruising the surface. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but you have to make the lure do what you want it to do and not accept what it wants to do, as a lot of builders do. The process is called prototyping.

If you own an accurate gram scale, it is possible to calculate how much lead you are going to need before you even get your lure wet. If you want to know more about this, let me know.

Dave

Dave, I did a little digging prior to asking questions and came across your post back from April 2011 regarding the Archimedes "dunk test" I'm assuming that's what you're referring to? Seems to be an awesome way to figure out weight without too much trial and error so thank you for that! Im hoping because of my wood choice and bait profile I won't need to go crazy with lead, I'm looking for some subsurface suspension but not too much sink.

Now just to get my hands on a good scale.. I wonder if the local drug dealer would mind if I borrowed his, hah

Again thank you for all the info!

T

You can also seal your bait with the line tie and hook hangers installed, add your split rings and trebles, and then float your lure in a bucket of water.

Add split shots and/or egg sinkers to the hook tines to achieve the buoyancy you want, and then drill your ballast holes up from the belly and add as much ballast as you need.  

Don't forget to deduct for the weight of your paint scheme and top coat, whatever you plan to use.

Mark, that way seems to be pretty easy and convient but due to how unorthodox my build has been due to the fact that I currently lack a proper wood shop I may be going with the calculator VodkaMan has set up, awesome btw Dave I enjoy getting technical on occasion.

Not sure if you guys are familiar with Paul Adams on YouTube, but I've modeled my build after his balsa jerk-baits he built. Much easier for me considering my lack of power tools and space just hoping my end result is what I want!

Thank you both for the info, I enjoy being able to talk baits with fellow like-minded folks, i know my girl friend and coworkers are sick of hearing it ha.