jonister

Pre-Spawn Bass

So i was fishing some pilings in my jon boat last weekend with a soft plastic worm and saw a very very big largemouth bass in the 6-8 pound range. so i put the bait right in its nose and it acted like it couldve cared less about it. so i got closer like an idiot and put my shadow right on her and she just kinda sank down and swam off. My question is, how do you guys catch pre spawn bass in cold ( low 50s) water? I am in the northwest so largemouth fishing is not very good, and is slim pickings, so seeing a bass of this size is huge to me. i want to go back and try for that same fish again. What do you guys use for pre spawn cold bass? 

For those who can work off of this, the weeds are about 8 inches high right now, just starting to grow, and the Lilly pads are/were still about 1.5 feet under water. water was clear, and it was sunny out. I think it was basking as it was right in the sun barely under the water, in around 6 or so feet of water. The lake was also stocked the night before with trout. I also was just trying out soft plastics for the first time so who knows. any recommended lures? it would probably need to be weedless and pretty easy for a non active fish to want. Thanks for taking your time to read this! Any help is wanted.

I like to use a moving bait like a chatterbait reeled just fast enough to get it to thump.  Flukes are great, too.  If she's sitting on a bed you may try a drop shot rig and drag it over the bed and just shake it right in her fact until she can't take it anymore and bites.

Old timers trick from many decades ago ........... In cold spring waters they would just cast a plastic worm out with very little weight and just .let it sit ........ And sit ...... And sit ....... Minutes at a time. Then raise the rod tip and move it about a foot and do it again ............ Tough to let it sit that long but those that did caught lunkers ....... They fished dark rock piles that stuck out of the water because it warmed first and warmed the water there first

I never caught her, i assume she got done spawning last time i went to that lake, but i have plans to go to a lake soon that i think the fish might be spawning in and i can feel it will be a craw lake. I have caught bass at this one lake on quite a bit of stuff but i know they get very territorial and maybe ill catch a few. Thanks!