Fishhead15

Chrome Paint

hi,

I have been using krylon chrome spraypaint as a base with good results...took some trial and error getting an even coat, but I think I am there...

Now I would like to be able to put scale pattern in the chrome, but the spraypaint is too thick and it runs under the scale masking material.

does anyone know of chrome colored paint I can use with my airbrush?  thanks!

Eric

Here's a trick that might help you to keep the paint from running under your netting. After you spray your base color and put the netting on the bait spray another light coat, or two, of the base color over the netting. Be sure to dry/heat set your paint after each coat and be sure to use light coats of paint. If the coats are too heavy the netting will stick to the paint and lift the paint from your bait when removed. This will help seal the netting to the bait and keep the chrome from under the netting.

When using rattle cans try holding them farther away from the bait when spraying. This will keep the paint from building up so quick and allow the spraying of lighter coats. This should also help with keeping the chrome paint from getting under the netting.

As far as chrome paints you can spray with your airbrush there are a few available although you might not like the price of them. Have you searched the archives for topics relating to chrome airbrush paint? There have been several discussions on this topic that list different types of chrome paint.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

I would call one of the companies that sell custom caps for graphiti artists. There's all kind of custom ones available, and I bet you if you explained what you needed, they could recommend a cap that would help and still work with your Krylon can.

Another option I've considered for stencils (but not yet bothered to try) is to first spray the stencil with 3M 75 repositionable spray adhesive. Its essentially post-it note adhesive in a can. I've long thought that might help with difficult stencils...

Craig

Edited by clemmy

Clemmy you reminded me of a tip that I think Gene told me about and that's to spray your netting with the 3M adhesive your talking about. It will definitely keep anything from going under the netting when making scales.

So much to remember and so few memory cells left to hold it all. :blink:

Ben

• Like 1

I played around trying to get a mirror chrome look about a year or so ago and spazstix gave the best results out of anything I tried but it's temperamental and easy to dull when trying to scale or add accent colors to,any overspray kills the look finally got tired of throwing money at it and moved on. Spazstix is a lacquer if I remember right. I have alot left so l know I'll try again but it's not cheap or easy to use for what I want to do.

Yes I did. I also ordered it in both the aerosol cans and the regular airbrush paint. I'm not near my shop to look and see everything I got and its been awhile since I picked it up so I'm going off memory here. I watched videos and got everything needed to get the mirror chrome look. The problem is that to get a true mirror with it you really have to paint from the inside meaning your blank would have to be in two pieces if memory serves me right,also you need a really smooth surface to get a mirror. The finish is really easy to tarnish but I did get pretty close to what I wanted but never got to the point I was satisfied with it enough to do finish work. I will try again when I feel like wearing a mask for extended periods of time just not interested right now. This stuff is pretty expensive around $13 for two or three ounces if I remember correctly

Alclad II. You dont have to thin it but need to clean your airbrush with Laquer thinner or denatured alcohol. 

http://www.megahobby.com/alcladiilacquersforairbrushingonly.aspx

Spaxtix. Same as above.

http://www.hobbyrecreationproducts.com/spazpaintmirror-chrome-s/1700.htm

With these two products forget the black base they are both awesome! But remember... less is more and I gaurantee you if you keep the scale nettting tight,it wont blead under the net.

As for Krylon... You have to thin it with Laquer thinner. I dont mean to hurt your feelings but you will never get anywhere near the results from Krylon that you will get from the two mentioned above. Also... the brands mentioned above will last you a long time if you store them propely.

Regards,

Blades   

Edited by bladesandbaits

that alclad just might be exactly what I am looking for.  thank you!  I haven't done anything with lacquer based paints, so ill be reading up on that...

when you say thin krylon, how does that work?  I have been using a spray can.  Are you talking about spraying into a mixing cup and adding thinner before using it in an airbrush?

Eric

that alclad just might be exactly what I am looking for.  thank you!  I haven't done anything with lacquer based paints, so ill be reading up on that...

when you say thin krylon, how does that work?  I have been using a spray can.  Are you talking about spraying into a mixing cup and adding thinner before using it in an airbrush?

Eric

Eric.

It can be messy but if your careful you wont make a mess.

If you can get your hands on some poly flo tubing or latex ( surgical) tubing in about 1/4 inch inside diameter, you simple stick one end up to the spray can nozzle and stick the other end into the bottle. press the paint can button and away you go. Just keep the tube preesed up against the nozzel tight and remember that you are in control of the flow. If you start making a mess then just stop spraying.

Many times I have found a better deal on spaztix in the rattle can and have transferred it from the can to bottle many times.

Note for both the above... let the rattle can paint you have transfered to the bottle rest for a couple minutes to let the propellent gasses evaporate. Otherwise when you add thinner and shake ot up to mix,thats when you may have a mess!   

As for thinning the Krylon... Just go to Lowes or home depot and get a small can of laquer thinner. Cut the paint about 50/50...throw a few BB's in the bottle to help mix it when you shake it up.Laquer scares the hell out of alot of people but dont let it bother you. Just make sure you wear some latex gloves and be in a well ventllated (sp) area( Im assuming that regardless of the kind of paint you are using, you are spraying it around good vetilation.

Back to Alcladd and Spaztix. I realize you could be on a tight budget but I prmise you that you will not regret using these chromes. They last a really long time and cover very well. Just store them in a cool place,add a few BB's to the bottle, and shake them up occasionally when not it use. Theres no thinning either.

I believe someone mentioned chrome paint dulling after application.If you get to heacy with the above mentioned chromes then they will appear to dull. When you apply the chromes mentioned above.... when you think you need to apply more, you probably have enough but it wont show up really brilliant until you clear coat. 

It takes a little practice so maybe take a few short pieces of white PVC pipe and paint a "mock" patter or basecoat on them like your painting a bait, then try the chromes above and apply a small amount of clear to see the results. If its a total "wreck" then just wipe off the paint with laquer thinner and start over.

Sorry for the short Essay.Im sure it has many mispellings  Good luck!

Regards,

Blades         

That's great!  thank you!  I can easily get ahold of poly tubing, we have miles of it here are work.  Does the bottle have to be glass?  I have old createx and wicked paint plastic bottles I could repurpose.  the wicked bottles already have the bb inside...

I am going to try the alclad though, I can make 1 oz of paint last a long time so Im not too worried about the price.  If I can put scales into the chrome I think it will take things to another level! 

thank you very much for the tips!  ill be putting them to work soon

Eric

The bottles don't have to be glass to store paint in. I got quite a few old extract bottles from when my mom used to do a lot of baking and thought they would be good to store certain colors I had mixed up. They worked quite well until I got the bright idea of dropping a few BB's in to help mix the paint. Won't be doing that again anytime soon.

Ben

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/bad/bad50-0052.htm

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/bad/bad51017.htm

Jar and adaptor.

Hate to keep telling you to spend more money but here are the type jars you need. Now.... if you are shooting through a gravity feed gun then you just need the jar(lid included)

You can just drop the bb's in the Alcladd jar as its heavy duty enough.Browse around on the Hobbylinc site. The glass jars they sell are all good for mixing with BB's as I have used hundreds of them and never had one break. The plastic jars are good for solvent based paints as well.

Regards,

Blades