TableRockstar

Spray On Clear Coats

Hello everyone,

I just joined this morning and I custom paint a little. I haven't painted all that long but really enjoy it. What I've found is that it takes awhile mixing 2 part epoxy up to put the topcoat on the crankbaits. I really like the way the 2 part dries and everything but I would really like to save time by spraying a clear coat on. Is there a really good spray-on clear coat that anyone would recommend?

Sincerely,

Andy

Edited by TableRockstar

Spray-on clear coats atomize the clear coat, so you need to use a good respirator to protect yourself.  

I find dipping in AC1315 is much easier and faster.  It is dead clear, durable, and easy to use.

It is solvent based, so do it outside, or inside with good ventilation.  

I dip and hang outside in my driveway.

If I have to dip inside, I use a box fan at the back of my garage, with the door back there open, blowing across where I dip/hang the baits, and the big overhead door open at the same time.  Plus a mask.

Edited by mark poulson

Since I don't have easy access to Ac1315, I use GST but I dip it.  Super quick, clear and it really brings out the colors on my baits.  Pretty tough from what I've seen so far.  I think AC1315 is supposed to be a bit harder so I have plans on picking some of that up first chance I get.

Since I don't have easy access to Ac1315, I use GST but I dip it.  Super quick, clear and it really brings out the colors on my baits.  Pretty tough from what I've seen so far.  I think AC1315 is supposed to be a bit harder so I have plans on picking some of that up first chance I get.

Here's the link, and they ship almost anywhere:

http://www.directcolors.com/product/ac-1315-high-gloss-concrete-sealer/

• Like 1

I do, for several reasons.

First, it is thinner, so it doesn't add much weight to a lure.

Second, it is crystal clear, so what I paint is what I get.

Third, it is strong, and bonds well.  I dipped some Predator Baits wiggle wart's that I had painted, including the bills.  I've fished several of them really hard, so the plastic on the edge of the bill is scuffed and worn, but the coating the rest of the bill is still bonded well, and the paint on the bill is fine. 

It does have fumes, which I don't like, but it flashes off really fast (the solvent leaves), and dries hard enough to handle in an hour, if I help the curing with my hair dryer.  I do my dipping outside, with good ventilation.

If I had to dip and cure inside, I would do in under a kitchen hood (they have explosion-proof motors) that was vented to the outside, to get the fumes out completely.  But I would not use the hood in my kitchen!!!

I still like Solarez for really quick builds, since I can dip it and cure it in 5 minutes, total, and be ready to fish as soon as it's out of the UV light box.

I used Solarez to clear some Poe's deep divers I redid for a friend.  Their bills were installed crooked, so I heated the bills and twisted them straight, and then reweighted them (he wanted suspend/slow rise), repainted them, and dipped them in the Solarez because I wanted the resin to reinforce the bills that had been heated and twisted.

So far they've held up fine.

Edited by mark poulson

Just started dipping my first baits this evening using the AC. My paper clip came off of the bait and I didn't get it out for probably 30 seconds. After hanging it up, the bait bubbled up all over. Then another one bubbled up later. Is this because I'm leaving them in too long? Also, some of the eyelets are filled in and dry. How hard is it going to be to get them out so that I can put an O-ring in? Or better yet, how do I prevent this from happening?

You just dip em' real quick. Mark knows all the tricks to keeping the bubbles away. He told me to paint in REALLY thin coats and make sure each coat is heat set. That helped. Heat setting is really important.

I'm guessing you never bought cheap crappie jigs when you were younger. Lol. If you did, you would know that the stuff is relatively easy to get out of the eyes. There's no way to prevent it that is worth your time.

• Like 1