cm10lber

Are All Blank Crankbaits The Same?

Just starting out, in fact Im just ordering all I need to get started, I would like to know if all crankbait blanks are the same? I see alot of imports from China that are generic. Is there a place to purchase any name brand blanks or are they all pretty much the same? I see the list of suppliers on the forums but when I look at all they offer they all look the same except for the prices of course.

Any insight on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

No they are not all the same you get good and bad with everything. I use dakota lakes if I want to buy blank body's I've had good luck with his stuff but I can't comment on the rest because his are the only ones I've tried.

• Like 1

It's like a lot of things - there are very good unpainted baits (KO's), some not so good, and some are terrible.  You just have to try some and pick out the ones that work for you.  Sellers like Predator, Bustin Bass Baits, and Dakota Tackle work to acquire better baits from overseas suppliers and the general quality of KO's has gotten better in the last few years.  But if you want an actual unpainted version of a popular bait like a Megabass Ito Vision 110, you won't find one anywhere.  Megabass Japan doesn't sell unpainted baits.  The KO may be a good bait in its own right, but it won't be a Megabass.  So if you want to paint a bait that's a "real whatever" you'll have to buy a real whatever and repaint it.

A lot of guys on TU repaint KO's and if you have a specific lure type in mind, you can ask in the forum for advice and will probably receive good guidance.   

• Like 1

As has been said, I like Predator Bass Baits blanks. Recently he has switched over a few "KO's" and had molds made from actual Lucky Craft baits. 

As far as getting blanks from the companies themselves (megabass, rapala, strike king etc) you won't get anywhere. They won't sell their blanks to anyone unless you plan on dropping $3,000 in one order.

• Like 1

Buying blanks is a job in itself.  I've never found any of the major factory lures in unpainted blanks. In order to find several different styles of KO's  that are in stock, and decent quality, it's often necessary to make purchases from more than one vendor.  The resellers mentioned in earlier posts are all good resources and worth looking at. From time to time you'll get a bad batch.....most of the better resellers will take returns. Find a vendor (or vendors) that carry lures you like to paint and start with them whenever you need blanks. :twocents:

Edited by boisarc
  • Like 1

Just a further note on knock-off baits.  It's easy for an Asian company to get an original, make a mold, and turn out KO's for pennies on the dollar of an original bait.  But what is almost always missing is the internal structure of the original, its ballasting scheme, and often the type of plastic and wall thickness of the original.  No knockoff I've ever tried has been exactly the same as the original bait from which it is derived.  That said, there are good performing KO's that are worth buying, painting, and fishing.  You just have to try some and decide for yourself if a particular model meets your expectations.  It's hit or miss in my experience.

I have purchased from all of the vendors listed in this post (that sell small quantities) and I am very happy with the performance of all the baits.

I have bought a few times off ebay....and I was not near as happy.

In my opinion, if you stick with any of the vendors listed, you will be happy. They do all the homework that you and I can't.

• Like 2