StuntGruntLures

Clear Coat On Soft Plastics

Most of us use clear plastic. Heat your plastic up, dip your painted bait, let plastic drip off nose; maybe rub drip off on side of plastic jar and drop in water; which cools and hardens the plastic quickly. I spike it does have a special plastic for this, but any kind will work.

I'll usually add a little heat stabilizer to the clear plastic I use for dipping since you will reheat it many times before you finally use it up. And just the regular plastic you use for the baits your making works just fine for dipping. I do like it to be as hot as I can get it without scorching so it applies the thinnest coat as possible. The heat stabilizer helps with that.

Spikeit has two that can be used one is a solvent based clear. It is real thin and you don't lose any detail on the bait. The other like was mentioned before is plastic. Don't think it is the same as other plastics because it has been formulated to be THINNER at lower temps so you don't have to keep the temp up so high and maybe scorch it. I keep mine on a griddle and don't have to reheat before getting 50 or 60 baits. The trick is to not fuss with it, the sides will skin over but the middle where you dip from will be fine.

To my knowledge there are three from spikeit two are solvent based called SB coat the other is VPI, I never used either but other than the strong solvent issues such as respirator and storage issues it is supposed to be really good. there is the CoLure coat water based paint line that is relatively new it does require a clear coat, the solvent based didn't require it but it is recommended they do have a solvent clear for that paint line. Any one of these can be brushed dipped or sprayed.

Does the spikeit clearsol have the same smell as their plastisol?

Yes it does. Smell is more of a personal thing. I don't think it smells bad at all. But that me others might have a different take on this. You could use the clear vpi but as said before it smells real bad and not good for you.