rwfleming

Suicide Glide

I can't see a simple, flexible solution.

It is going to be a half frame with three strong, fixed clips to hold the eyes.

The lure will have to be attached to the frame before applying the epoxy, so something hand held would be convenient, that can then be clipped to your drying wheel.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1

I've only built a couple of swimbaits so I'm no aficionado, but the solution I used was to install a screw eye in the fork of the tail and then hook it up as I normally would any type of crankbait. After the top coat has cured on the drying wheel the screw eye is removed from the tail and the hole the screw eye was in is filled with epoxy.

Ben

• Like 1

I've coated a couple of these.  Although I don't use a turner, my process may help you out.  I stretch the bait out on a hoop about 4 inches longer than the bait.  If you get something in around the tail to break the glue loose, remove the tail.  The tail receptacle is a "T" shaped slot opening at the bottom.  I sanded/carved a craft stick to fit snugly in the slot.  I also filed a small vee in the center of the stick.  I twisted a wire around the vee and shoved it in the tee slot and now I had a wire to attach the tail to my hoop and tape it securely at the hoop.  Another s shaped wire at the nose and rubber band stretch to the opposite end of the hoop.  You can also put a rubber band around your stick vee slot, stretch it thin and insert it into the bait.

If you can't get the tail out.  I stretch the bait out with wire s hooks and rubber bands.  One on the front and one on the rear hook hangar.  When you do this the front and rear sections of the bait will want to touch at the top of the bait due the location of the rear hook hanger pulls at an angle and cocks the bait at the hinge hangars.  So....get a piece of rubber or wood to push down in between the two sections of the bait until it is lodged in the gap area just above the upper hinge hangar.  You can pull it out later after the coating has cured.

My hoop is just a spare coil of brake line tubing left over from a repair of my trailer surge brakes.  It was round so I just squeezed it oval so I could suspend this bait in there.  I have used Solarez and D2T so far and I just turn it a couple of times until the coating stiffens then leave to complete cure.

• Like 1

Of course you can do it. We all stumble when attempting something new. There are usually enough suggestions to any problem that you can try some of them and find out what works best for you.

Ben

I had a boss who told me, "You're gonna hafta work real hard to come up with a mistake that hasn't already been made".

• Like 4