i recently just got into fly fishing, i curently have a wright and mcgill fly setup and i would soon like to uprgade. i looked around orvis and sage but their prices are through the roof (rightfully). I just started throwing flies and dont really want to spend that much money yet. I like to work with my hands so it would be fine to get a setup and refurbish it or have to fix a few things. does anyone know of any older fly rods and reels that i could look for?

Suggest you buy/rent all the fly fishing books you can including rod building books. Meanwhile go to local fly shops and ask the owner if he has any demo or loaner rods he or his guides will sell you. Also attend local Federation of Fly Fishers or Trout Unlimited clubs and tell the president you'd like to buy a good used rod or two if anybody has one to sell. You may get 2-3 rods that need rewinding, refinishing, etc. which you can use or trade up and buy some quality blanks and build your own rods. Do get 4-5 piece rods instead of 2 piece (carry-on airline travel). Avoid yard sales, Craig's list and eBay stuff. Go fly fishing a lot.

What kind of fish do you fish for?

Good luck!

John

PS: If you are handy with your hands, you might like to tie flies or build bugs.

anyone know of any older fly rods and reels that i could look for?

Have you tried Ebay? I just won an auction for 4 (old stock) blanks for $70.  

Truthfully I would spend my money on good line, get your cast down ,learn to haul & shoot and then look for the upgrades. Quality fly blanks dont come cheap.

Definetely check out your local FF club(s). Lots of guys will pass their old unused gear over to someone who is just starting out for a song. 

have fun :D