MarkNY

When You Think You've Done Everything Right And Still Get Fisheyes?

hey guys, i've had good luck with etex for the most part. i'm very careful when mixing it, surface prep etc. I use etex spray sealer before epoxy over foiled finish. Just finished a lure where i ended up with two fisheyes in the surface right smack in the the side of my lure. Just in that one spot. I know i didnt touch it or contaminate the surface. Only thing i can think of is that i top coated too soon after painting. Is there a general rule on that? Could i be missing something else here. Also the fisheyes are where there is a textured surface on the foil. thanks, mark

Maybe the foil is contaminated by some reason? Maybe you store the foil near a silicone mold of something like that? Do you use vinyl gloves when putting on the foil?
Etex and other epoxy normally stick really well to foil.
I always clean my foiled lures with tenol just before I put on the clear coat.

Sometimes I clear coat the lures just after I painted them. Never had any issues with fish eyes when I done that.
Do you use some kind of paint on the foil that the etex doesn't like? I always got fish eyes when I used FW acrylic inks but not with Liquitex acrylic ink so the paint type or paint brand could be the problem. Or do you use some kind of glue to attach the foil that etex doesn't like either?

Hope this was helpful. 
/David

I think i just created a thin spot with my brush. Second coat took care of it..... With foil, ive been doing a coat of etex before painting. Also been spraying a coat of etex crystal clear before doing that first coat of etex. Works for me....