crab05

Removing Paint From Old Baits

Acetone will melt the plastic Crab, but that isn't always a bad thing. A quick dip (in and out) in fresh acetone will clean any oils from the bait and will also smooth out sanding marks for a perfectly smooth bait. I've had trouble using this process when wanting to paint a "ghost" pattern as it can leave the plastic a little cloudy, but it works great for opaque paint jobs.

As far as removing paint there have been discussions on everything from soaking them in brake fluid to using one of the table top sand blasting units. You might try doing a search for some of these threads since trying to describe all of them in one reply would take half a day to type. Most of the time I just use sandpaper and a little elbow grease, but I only do a few baits at a time and even then not many of them are repaints.

hope this helps,

Ben

• Like 3

Unless it's a suspending bait, I don't try to strip all the paint off - I just rough it up with 400 grit sandpaper, wash the bait with soap and water, then repaint.  If you get acetone on the lip, it will cloud it permanently.  I don't know of any solvent that will quickly remove the paint without also damaging the plastic underneath - including acetone.  I have removed paint with a blow torch and it works quickly.  But you need a fine touch to avoid setting the lure on fire, causing the lure to blow up, or melting/discoloring the lip.  On a suspending bait, I just sandpaper off the paint.  It takes time and destroys any 3D details but it's the safest way unless you have a media blasting booth. 

• Like 2

I don't try to strip the paint from a bait, especially a plastic one because you'll ruin it. You don't need to remove all the paint to do a re-paint of a bait so I'd rather not possibly ruin one. All I do is lightly buff any existing clear coat to give the paint something to stick to. I use a soft grit blending block to do this, and that's it.

• Like 2