bassfiend72

Wrapped Up And Falling Off

Hello guys.

I have a blank swimbait I have been working on for some time. I had ended up trying to wrap a photo image on it. I ended up using a 3m vinyl wrapped image on there. The fish seem to like it anyway. My problem is the clearcoat I am using will not adhere to this type of material the image is made out of. I am clearing it with devcon 2-ton.I was thinking of some type of adhesion promotor when I lay the image on the bait. Bait is cast with Featherlite. The past times they failed I laid the image cleared in a turner then painted the backs and bottom the re cleared. First trip hook rash caused the clear to come off in chunks. on both sides. it just wont adhere to the vinyl wrap. Anybody have any insight to a clearcoat that can be used with a vinyl wrapped image. Thank everybody for there insight. Im bummed because I'm going to have to paint them now. I dont know how to paint :? Thank you.photo2.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo2.JPG

post-21788-0-45945400-1429111416_thumb.jpg

If your not dead set on the vinyl there are a couple of tutorials in the "Hard Bait How to" section on how to do photo images. One way is to use water slide decals and there's another where you print the image on the thin tissue paper like that used when packing presents inside shopping bags. The tissue paper disappears once it's applied to the lure leaving just the image visible once it's clear coated.

There are several photos of baits in the gallery using one or the other of these methods if you'd like to take a look.

good luck,

Ben

• Like 1

First thank you for the response. Im assuming nobody that responded has used this type of wrap. The tissue paper and water slide type wraps can look really good. I have found they are unable to print any type of metallic colors. I dont believe there is any type of clearcoat that will adhere to a vinyl wrap material.This is the reason for the post!

No, I have not tried vinyl or tissue as painting is what I do. So how about this? Go backwards. How about applying a top coat over your base paint, then glue your vinyl to the bait? I would think the vinyl could withstand some abuse, while the bait is all sealed up below it. I would try a marine contact cement used for boat carpet to affix the vinyl.

Douglas

If you were to use the tissue like Ben suggested and lay it over aluminum foil...the entire pattern will take on a "metallic" look. The foil shows thru...especially where there is little color or lighter hues. I use toilet tissue (Charmin, single ply), so, I get even more of the foiled effect. Good luck.

Here is a method that can be used without any special machines except for a printer.

Things needed

Scanner or digital photos of fish

Krylon easy tack spray adhesive

Toilet paper or tissue paper has to be very thin to work.

Thin cardboard stock 8.5" x 11" card stock for business cards is good.

Inkjet or laser printer

Spray tissue paper on one side let dry. Stick tissue to cardboard, trim any tissue overhang. Adjust size of image to required size of bait in computer. Insert cardboard into printer making sure you are printing correct side of tissue paper. Voila you now have ultra thin decal to glue onto your blank.

Important: make sure your tissue is not loose on cardboard especially leading edges or you will be picking out pieces of tissue paper out of your printer for weeks lol.

A color Laser is better as it doesn't bleed like inkjet printers.

Hope this helps some of the guys like me who are airbrush challenged.

Edited by Jdeee

Ben

Actually laser printers are powder not ink. The powder is melted onto the paper not like inkjet. There is another technology called dye sub printing that melts coloured waxes to make images. I have never tried it, but seen the output, the colours are much more vivid than other methods and I believe that silver and gold can be produced. My main concern would be the fact of the wax not adhering to blanks or epoxies like the same problem with vinyl.

The dye sub printers do not feed the paper thru like a regular printer they move the paper back and forth dropping microscopic drops of wax on the surface of the paper so the thickness is not as important as the other printers that need to be able to grab the paper to draw it thru the machine.

It might be worth a try?

Edited by Jdeee

Sorry dye sub is a different technology. What I am remembering is the solid ink system from Xerox. The first ones they made with this technology pulled the paper back and forth like the banner printers doing one color at a time. Those machine are now dinosaurs the newer models run like normal printers feeding the paper thru the machine.

Thanks for the explanation Jdeee. Since learning how to do water slide decals and printing images on tissue paper I don't think I've used either method. They were just a process I wanted to add to my skill set in case I ever wanted to use them. I still like to know how things work even though I may never use the process. Just curious that way I guess.

thanks again,

Ben

Try putting on a layer of envirotex clear, and smoothing the decal into the envirotex, then go over it with another layer of envirotex. it will sandwich it between two layers of epoxy and shouldn't delaminate. can also use an adhesion promoter if you don't like that idea. available at auto parts stores.