Jaxon2

Jig Hooks

Looking to try a different hook for making 1/8 or 1/4 ounce jig heads. I tried the eagle claw 570 hook which what was recommending on the mold, but to me the hook seems rather light and would bend easy. I was looking at the vmc 9147 hooks or the lil nastys by eagle claw. Does anyone have any experience with any of these or have a hook they'd recommend? Also, where is a good place to buy bulk packages of hooks?

You need to tell us what mold you plan on using with the model number and which cavities. As far as bulk hooks, if you are looking for 1000 count, your best place to buy them is Shorty's in Windsor, Mo. You will need a tax ID number though, or you can buy hooks from Captain Hooks, which is the online sister company of Shorty's. I have found them to have the best prices on any hook you are looking for except Owner hooks which they don't carry.

The Mustad 32746 and the Eagle Claw 570 black platinum are very close and the same type of hook. The problem is that these types of jigs are designed for Aberdeen hooks, Aberdeen hooks are designed to bend out straight to free from snags and then be bent back into position numerous times. Do not be afraid of the hooks bending out, you'd be surprised how hard they are to bend out on a fish, the only way it happens is when using 20# or 30# braid and muscling in a decent size fish. My buddy caught a 6lb 10oz smallmouth on a jig I gave him that was made with a size 2 Aberdeen hook. Now, I can tell you first hand that I've been using the new Eagle Claw 500BP Lil Nasty jig hook and it is awesome, in fact I was using one in a hair jig and as I was tying I noticed red drops and I was looking for where it was coming from and then noticed it was from my finger, I just lightly brushed against the point and it cut like nothing. So far I've caught dozens of fish on them with the biggest being a 4lb 4oz smallmouth and not a problem. If you want another good hook you can get the Owner 5318 super needle points, I use them a lot from size 1 up to 3/0 and the 3/0 I use for 3.75" soft plastic swim baits and those never bent either, even the 570 or Mustad 32746 in 2/0 and 3/0 sizes will be hard to bend straight, you really have to be using stout line and rods.