Zygotor

After A 3 Inch Paddle Tail Grub Mold

Hi,

I am after a mold similar to the do-it thump grub or (Slider bass/wall eye striper grub). I recently purchased 2 x thump grub molds, which turned out to be a waste of money, as I can not clamp either mold tight enough to stop the plastic flowing out of the mold.

Any one know of a mold manufacturer, which makes a similar mold.

Thanks

I have sent an email to do-it in relation to the molds, but as yet haven't received a reply. Even with the mold placed in a wood working vice which puts even pressure on the full surface of both sides and tightened to a point where I need a hammer to release it, both molds still leak. Very dissapointe4d in the quality of product.

Most of my molds come from Bass tackle and all are fantastic, but I couldn't see a similar grub in their product list, so I made the mistake of trying do-it. 

Edited by Zygotor

Brother just send them boys back and the will replace them with out problem, I have several of there molds and don't have a problem with them, I have called them before and they have been helpful in the past

But to answer you question, bobs tackle shack, btsmolds.com has two that might work for you, under grubs and under swim baits

Enforcer baits has a nice one, baitmolds.enforcermolds.com. They have one under swim baits

Hope this helps, oh I think Jacobs baits has a 3" grub as well

Good luck

Thanks for the info on the molds, I will check them out.

I have exchanged a few emails with do-it and it appears the hinge is the issue. They stated that they are looking at replacing the hinges on smaller molds with pins. When I get time I will remove the hinges from my molds and will drill and tap a thread and use a bolt and butterfly nut. So I guess I haven't wasted any money, only the time it will take me to make them useable.

I have that same mold and have had zero problems with it. And I catch a lot of walleyes and smallmouth on it.

Don't just send an email. With spam filters, routing issues , etc etc emails are just not a reliable way of communicating anymore. My company gets over 200,000 (yes that's the real number) of emails a day...all but a 100 never make it past the server spam filters and still 95% of those are junk....imagine how hard it is to find the real emails in all of that! Especially if you don't have a good subject line that doesn't look like spam.

Give them a phone call....Do-it has excellent customer service ...if they get the chance to "do it" !

Andy

The hinges on those molds were never designed to hold the mold together for injecting. They were there to align the two halfs. Try this put a C clamp on each side right in the middles top to bottom then shoot. That wood working vise puts more pressure on the bottom of the mold which leaves the top with less pressure. I would be surprised if this doesn't work. If it does not then make sure and drill an alignment hole for a dowel pin before you takethehinge off. Then another hole for a bolt and nut.

Frank: Good Catch on the clamping issue!

I double clamp almost all my molds (front and back...evenly distributed) with Dewalt clamps

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-12-in-Medium-Trigger-Clamp-2-Pack-DWHT83158/204356349?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-204987956-_-204356349-_-N

You need a firm pressure....not too much on any one end or you could damage the mold.