psilvers

Strength Of Mustad 91768Bln Hooks

I recently bought the molds for the poison tail jigs. These molds can be used to pour jigs from 1/8 oz up to 1 oz. i am using the molds to make some jigs that have a pretty good action. I see no problem with the smaller jigs that will be used for largemouth bass, but I was thinking of using the larger sizes for stripers and redfish. I was also thinking of making some for a friend who fishes a lot for musky. However, the hooks seem pretty thin. What do you guys think? Can the 4/0 and 5/0 91768BLN stand up to stripers and musky?

Thanks,

Pete

I can tell you that a 32886 round bend Mustad will be stronger. The EWG bend on the 917688 has a lot more gap than a 32886. Also the 32886 is thicker in wire diameter. As far as the 91768 holding a musky or striper, well that depends. If you have your drag set sensibly you will bring the fish in. If you  crank everything down and then try to force a fighting fish, Well yes the hook may open up. I've seen guys catch 5lb bass on an aberdeen 4/0 hook. It's all relative.

Edited by cadman
  • Like 1

Thanks Cadman! I realize that drag settings are important, but thei info on the other hook was great!

I see that the diameter of the 91768BLN is .054 and the diameter of the 32886 is .057. I think I will order some of the 32886.

Pete

Once you get the 32886, you will see the difference in .003. It may not seem much, but when you have them in your hand you can tell. Also the space between the two hook gaps makes a difference as well, as you will see.

I just ordered some of these hooks from Zeiner's. Thanks for the info! I have a modified head that I want to use for stripers, reds and the like. I hope that the heavier hook will stand up to them. On the other hand, it is unusual for me to be using stuff heavier than 20 lb test.

Pete

I'm a little late to weigh in on this post, but I have been casting poisontails for about 8 years. I also had concerns about the Mustad, so I developed a jig for adjusting the angle of an Owner 5317 down to 28*. I had a hobby making knives for about 10 years, and was therefore able to adjust the angle without ruining the temper or messing with the carbon of the hook itself. If you do a bit of research on Google I'm sure you will be able to come up with a system that fits your needs if you are up to the hassle. I've never lost a fish because of the Mustad, but on more than a few occasions the hook was bent and I threw the jig away. I modified one mold to accommodate a 4/0 5317 in the 1/8 ounce size. I actually had Shawn Collins custom make a 2-oz mold for me so that I could punch grass in South Texas and Louisiana, and it uses a 6/0 or 8/0. 

Edited by ReactionAttack

I'm a little late to weigh in on this post, but I have been casting poisontails for about 8 years. I also had concerns about the Mustad, so I developed a jig for adjusting the angle of an Owner 5317 down to 28*. I had a hobby making knives for about 10 years, and was therefore able to adjust the angle without ruining the temper or messing with the carbon of the hook itself. If you do a bit of research on Google I'm sure you will be able to come up with a system that fits your needs if you are up to the hassle. I've never lost a fish because of the Mustad, but on more than a few occasions the hook was bent and I threw the jig away. I modified one mold to accommodate a 4/0 5317 in the 1/8 ounce size. I actually had Shawn Collins custom make a 2-oz mold for me so that I could punch grass in South Texas and Louisiana, and it uses a 6/0 or 8/0. 

I would be interested in this process. Are you willing to share this info? If not would you be willing to PM me the info.