Lately ive been looking into some airbrushes, ive looked at the 100 dollar kits that come with compressors, paint, hose, etc but most of them have very unpleasant reviews, ranging from the product doesnt even work, to the product is not detailed enough, does anyone have any recommendations on a reletively cheap brush and compressor?

if i buy an individual airbrush, what about a compressor? does it have to be specifically for an airbrush?do i need to rig it up a certain way if its not? sorry for my lack of knowlege. LOL

Any compressor will work.  The setup will depend on what kind of paint you are spraying with.  A moisture trap is standard for airbrushing but depending on what your spraying and the location of your air compressor you might need other accessories on your compressor like an air dryer for example.  If you are using water based paints the setup is minimal.  It is preference but I feel the compressors for airbrushing are not big enough and over priced.  I use a simple 3 gallon oiless compressor that costs under $100.  It is loud but works great and I don't have to worry about any oil intrusion if the compressor gets leaned over to far or if you over fill the oil tank.

Everybody that buys a cheap airbrush to start with turns right back around and buys a good one, so just start with a good one and save yourself some time and money.

Everybody that buys a cheap airbrush to start with turns right back around and buys a good one, so just start with a good one and save yourself some time and money.

I agree! Don't waste your money on a cheap airbrush and compressor!

I just started airbrushing this winter and I got really amazing results using the below and by reading tips and watching the videos on airbrushing crank baits. I have ZERO artistic ability...and I can now paint a bait that looks as good as a "store bought".

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/iwreaiwsmjet.html

I bought it with the BR brush. A small bowl gravity feed airbrush is a must!!!!

Great info, tips and videos at dakotalakestackle.com  I also bought his book via Amazon and for a beginner it is excellent. Very good step by step instructions.

Like I said....I have ZERO artistic ability but I am really pleased with the baits I am producing now. If I can do it...anyone can!!!

I have a 2 gallon dewalt compressor for general use. Since its loud and I do my painting indoors, I built an insulated box out of mdf and foam board insulation. Holes for the air and power line. Lid on top. The roar from the compressor is dialed down to a low hum. Since oiless ccompressors are cheap and work nice for airbrushing, this is a nice way to make them a little more civilized. I also have an inline moisture trap and ajustable psi regulator on the outside of the box for quick adjustments. The box has casters on the bottom so I can roll it around easily. Should be a few videos on youtube that show similar setups.

Edited by Tim2199

X3 on buying a good airbrush. I started w a cheap Iwata Neo now I have an Iwata Revolution and I enjoy painting again. My wife did buy me a quiet airbrush compressor but before that I used a compressor I bought at lowes to shoot brad nails. I did notice some surge when I used the big compressor when it cycled on and it did scare me to death at times.

Yes get a hairdryer to heat set after every coat. Mark or Ben wrote a good post awhile ago about how to easily clean your brush between colors and when done. Just do a search, you'll find it.

Bought this compressor and love it. Quiet enough for indoors and has everything you need

I also recommend the iwata Eclipse CS I have the more expensive Hi Line and use the Eclipse 99% of the time

Buy once...you get what you pay for....

http://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-CAT-1650A-1-6-Gallon/dp/B00889ZYEC/ref=sr_1_6/182-4479793-1564117?ie=UTF8&qid=1429842268&sr=8-6&keywords=ultra+quiet+air+compressor

Tool compressors are more cost efficient than dedicated airbrush compressors but they work best with an air control valve calibrated for 0- 50 psi or thereabouts and a moisture trap.  You can add a combo valve/trap for around $25.  Of course, tool compressors are very noisy and most wives would call a time out on one inside the house.  I use a 6 gal compressor in my garage and like the setup.  If you decide a dedicated airbrush compressor is what you need, be sure to get one that advertises 50 psi or more.  Manufacturers list the maximum pressure a compressor develops.  They lose about 15 psi of air pressure a second or two after you press the trigger on your airbrush, so if you buy one of the cheap Chinese compressors that advertise 30 psi, the sustained pressure you will get out of it will be around 15 psi, which is not enough to shoot some pearls or flake paints reliably.

Just a thought here....a MAC valve on your airbrush will save you the time and trouble of constantly changing air pressure at the compressor.  Paasche makes a good brush with MAC....others companies do too.  I keep the air pressure at 60 psi and use the MAC to fine tune the air pressure for detail work.  Make sure to get a moisture trap with any air compressor you use.

• Like 1

Just so nobody gets the wrong idea about a MAC valve it does not change the pressure from the regulator. Any valve, no matter what type, can only change the volume of liquids/gases that pass through it. Only a regulator can change pressure. Not trying to take anything away from the use of a MAC valve as I use one and have found it makes spraying much easier especially when spraying details.

Say you have a compressor reservoir that holds 100 psi and on this tank you have a regulator set at 25 psi. If you hook the 100 psi tank to an empty tank with the regulator set at 25 psi then the maximum pressure that will build up in the second tank is 25 psi. Now take these same two tanks with a valve replacing the regulator. When you open the valve to start transferring pressure from tank #1 to tank #2 they will equalize at 50 psi. That is the difference between a regulator and a valve.

Hopefully this will help avoid any misconceptions.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy
  • Like 2

you get what you pay for with airbrushes- a pretty good deal is hobby lobby-iwata hp-cs- a little less than 200.00 but print off the 40% coupon and get it for 120.00- I have 3 I bought that way- you might find one a little cheaper online somewhere but shipping may run it up a little-plus I'm a little impatient-when I want it I want it now!- as far as a compressor-I got one from lowes- small pancake compressor- just make sure it has an auto shut off feature- (it will cut of when the reservoir hits a certain pressure) usually you can pick one up for less than 100.00- DON"T skimp on the regulator and water filter- those are the two most important items in my book- one little shot of water will ruin a nice paint job- and it always will happen right about the time you are finished!!