drdmh

This Was Supposed To Be A Fun Hobby

It still is fun but now I've been referred by a buddy to a professional walleye angler that wants some repaints done.  The color has been discontinued by Berkley and is now my duty to recreate.  I tried to do a few test runs last night and use some blanks I had laying around.  My first issue, purple and chartreuse don't like each other.  Bait one had the whole covered in white base with one coat of chart all over.  Purple on top ended up turning brown.  At that point I started over.  White base coat, chartreuse only on the sides.  This one turned out much better.  I think I'll bring that process with me for the actual baits. 

So, here's  my question.  With repaints, do you just scuff up the surface and clean with alcohol before you base coat?.  They are flicker shads so I don't want to ruin the plastic.  Also, for those of you that use MCU, how to you prep before you dip the bait?  I've had numerous baits that look fantastic, turn to crap because they paint starts to "melt" away from the plastic as soon as I pull it out of the MCU.  I'm sure I'll be asking more questions along the line.

I just want to say thanks to everyone on all the other topics.  This site has been amazing throughout this start up hobby.

IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

post-47374-0-21419800-1429730067_thumb.jpg

I prep plastic baits by doing exactly as you said. As far as MCU goes, i dip or quickly brush it onto a bait that is thoroughly dried with a hair dryer and then simply hang it up by its lip to dry. That allows all the excess MCU to drip off the tail so it will not wrinkle the paint.

As far as your "fun hobby", I just do baits the way I want them and the hell with guys who are so anal they must have special, hard to recreate color schemes. if you work with acrylics and not lacquers there are some color schemes that just aren't possible - and vice-versa.

Edited by BobP

You might also try spraying the back and shoulders with pearlized white before you spray your purple, and shoot light coats of the purple to get to the shade you want.

The pearlized white should keep the chartreuse from turning the purple brown, or, at the least, limit it to just the transition line.

• Like 1

It sounds like you are turning your hobby into a job. I'm sure you already have a job, right? If friends like what you are doing and want a lure here and there, that's great. It is a good feeling to get a pic sent to your phone with the caption, " I caught this with the lure you made me! Thanks!!" But if you start doing repaints and custom work by request for other people and their buddies you are going to take all the fun out of it and start to shy away from lure making. My advice to you would be to make what YOU want to make. Don't turn it into a job. After all, this was supposed to be a fun hobby.

• Like 2

It's funny how fast a hobby can turn into a job and all the fun vanishes...  Been there more than once.  I think the best part of a hobby is to do what you want and when you want to do it.  Once it turns into a job, it's someone else telling you what to do and when to do it.  Hopefully this will be just a one off deal, but word might travel.

• Like 1

Believe me, it's still fun. A little added pressure sometimes brings out your talent. I'm ok with doing repaints for guys. My day job of being a chiropractor sometimes calls for a couple hours away from people. The paint booth in the garage is my perfect wind down. Most of the crank baits and bucktails that I've done have been given to friends. They want to pay but I honestly have no idea what I'd charge anyway. That's probably the worst part in this whole venture. What does a guy charge for a repaint? In the end, I have fun figuring this stuff out and finding out how other guys have dealt with issues.

Well, I think I got it guys. I picked up a few new colors. This time I went with createx wicked paints. I've never sprayed them before but they turned out incredibly well. I stated with a white base. From their I sprayed the detail yellow over the shoulders head and belly. I left a bit of the dorsum white because I I went back with a pearl white to help with the purple. Once the purple was on, orange when on the ventral side. I made a small stencil out of masking tape. It might need some work but it allowed me to make the bait with the white stripe.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

post-47374-0-42979600-1429876306_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It looks good. Pattern is closer on the second bait. Maybe try a small amout of lime green tint to the yellow, if you want to be picky.

It helped to have a similar bait to compare it to.  Also, $30 in new paint really brought it closer.  I'll add in a little green and post the results.  Thanks for the tips.

I think you'll find that both the mixing of paints to get the shades just right, and playing around with the placement of the laying of coats will be an valuable experience. You learn so much by experimenting, and it gives you confidence when you tackle other projects. I know that's true from my experience, and I've heard it from more veteran lure builders as well on the site. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing so we can all benefit.

Tim