Mattlures

Favorite Auto Clear

One of the clears I use is an automotive clear. Its Kustom shop and I am not totally satisfied with it. It seems to dull easier then other clears after prolonged use. It also seems a little bit soft. I am wonder what auto clears you guys use and what you think of them. I am very happy with its ease of use Basically I am hoping somebody hear is using an auto clear that's a little harder and or stays shinny after being fished hard

Matt,

I don't use auto clears because I am a hobby builder, and don't want to invest in the breathing and ventilation system that would make it safe for me to use.

I use a solvent based concrete sealer that I can dip outside, with a fan blowing behind me.  It stays clear after prolonged use, but I don't know if it would work for commercial production 

http://www.directcolors.com/product/ac-1315-high-gloss-concrete-sealer/

Matt: I am in Argentina. I use  Glasurite acrylic varnish. I dip the lures 3-4 times in it, 2-3 days between dips, and get a very clear, rock solid finish (needed to stand dorados teeth). Works better when warm –just leave the can under the sun for a little while- and thin it with thinner when needed. Can´t compare with others though, since is the only one I tried. I use acrylic paints only.

Mark: you got me a little worried about safety. I dip the lures in my backyard, when wind is blowing, and rarely smell the stuff.  The lures are hanged outdoors among dips and then until the odor is no longer perceptible. Only then go to the tackle box. Do you believe that is  still unsafe?. 

calden, auto clears contain isocyanates which are very toxic chemicals. Most guys spray them, which requires advanced breathing protection.  You pay your money and take your chances but your dipping regimen seems to avoid most of the dangers of breathing the stuff.

• Like 1

Dipping doesn't atomize the solvents like spraying does.

I am careful because, back in the '70s, I sprayed a wood preservative (with no mask) that had dioxins in it, and wound up with scaring on my spinal cord and brain from a virus that got past my blood/brain barrier, due to the dioxin.  The can had no warnings about how to use it, and I bought it at a local lumberyard.

Once you're damaged, you're damaged, so I say err on the side of caution, or you could wind up like me!

I have used PPG two part clear on a few automotive jobs. Lays on pretty nice and wet ( motorcycle fairings) and was what our local auto body supply store recommended. They also carry other stuff but the manager thought it was my best choice. I put on three coats. How many coats are you used to applying Matt. I started with a light first coat, and then layed the second and third on wet (relatively speaking) so you could see it flow.

I used nason auto clear from orielys it's inexpensive. Mark I have sprayed laquer for years without a respirator with zero problems and the concert sealer is worse one me than the laquer. I had to buy a respirator to use the concrete sealer and it still burns my eyes I guess I'm going to have to get a full face respirator. I'm not saying you don't need a respirator to spray laquer and I may die tomorrow but it has never bothered me but the concert sealer bothers me. I guess everyone is different.

• Like 1

I don't use auto clear anymore except on baits that have sharp edges or where weight matters. I can't share what I use because someone told me what to buy and I told him that I would never let his secret out. (And I won't). The stuff is real high dollar. However, in my opinion, there is not one auto clear that is tough enough for crankbaits. Auto clear, regardless of how many coats that you shoot,will never be durable enough for crankbaits.

BobP is correct, auto clears contain isocanates which is known to cause cancer and all kinds of resperatory issues for some. To my knowledge, there is no filter on the market that can catch it and stop you from inhaling it.

Skeeter