Buckhorn79

Wire For Spinnerbaits

Im looking to make my own spinnerbait wire forms so I can use smaller wire to get more vibration. Only problem is I can't find the right wire. I know the sizes I want is .028 and .030. The wire I have found so far in small rolls is not springy enough to make a spinnerbait wire. Can anyone help? Thanks guys!

I really want to give you some advise on the wire sizes you are using and I'm not sure you want to hear it but I'll tell you anyway. .032 is the lowest I would go but I stick to .035 for all but 1/4oz baits which still use .032 or .031 depending on which supplier I use. If you want to use .028 to .030, there are some things that are going to happen, the first is if you catch a fish that distorts the wire the bait is done, tie a new on because a big fish will break it so don't risk failure. Another thing is you want a lot of vibration, have you considered using .035 and then use a half size larger blade than normal and make the space between the blades shorter? By making the blade spacing short, you put all the torque created by the blades in a smaller area which makes the bait vibrate harder, the downside is you have to retrieve the lure slower because the faster you go the faster the blades spin and they will create too much torque and the bait will want to lay on its side. Good luck.

• Like 2

I pour everything except my spinner bait heads. I get those from CAST ind in the raw. However I've been getting them to use their super stainless arms in the .32 or the smallest they offer for the size I'm ordering. I also shorten the arms. The stainless wire is tougher to bend but the fish catching has been out of this world with that combo. They don't get deformed to much but they do break after abou 25-30 fish. They definitely outperform other wire sizes combos for me.

The only heads CAST ind. makes with .032 wire is the 1/4oz size, I was going to get them to make me 200 of their signature head in a 3/8oz with .032 wire because I needed them in a hurry and they told me the only head size they will make is the 1/4oz with the .032 because that is how they made their molds. They would have made a custom mold too my specs but I had to get a lot more than what I wanted and I didn't have that kind of money. The do as I do and use .035 for 3/8oz and 1/2oz. The spinnerbait is my favorite bait and guys that know me also know that is was the fine tuning of spinnerbaits that got me into tackle making in the first place. I was made 107 spinnerbaits in various sizes and configurations with different wire sizes and blade arm lengths, I took those baits along with a bag which contained blades, round nose pliers, side cutter, skirt making supplies, and a note book with a pen to a small area with clear water and no fish. I sat and fished for 8 hours an 35 minutes casting and documenting how each change in wire diameter, length, blade style, size ,and configuration, affected the running of the bait. I used thin skirts, thick skirts, trailer and no trailer and just about every way you can fish a spinnerbait in order to find out how to tune a bait to make it do certain things, for example, I wanted a bait that I could burn in clear water without it rolling in its side, and then I wanted the same thing only it needed to be able to do it in current. I needed baits for slow rolling and short arm baits for ripping off the bottom and helicoptering on the fall and every where in between. That said, I still think that a combination of .035 wire diameter with the right blades and blade spacing is the key to getting the best of both worlds as far as vibration and durability is concerned.

• Like 3

I have 300 V Style heads from Cast Industries in 1/2, and 3/8, along with some 3/4 and 1 oz in the same V style mold. They gave me .32 in all sizes. Some were ordered direct. Some i ordered through lure parts online. Maybe it just depends on the mold you are requesting. My point is you can always call and ask. However the super stainless wire is the ticket if you want the best vibration IMHO.

I have been using 1/4 oz. spinner baits with .029 wire for over twenty years and find it to be my favorite wire. I have caught 14 muskies on this little spinner bait and find they perform fine. A short life span of a spinner bait is a small price to pay for something that catches fish like that. I tie all mine with Lumiflex skirts. Just my two cents worth. Musky Glenn

Another 2 cents worth  .. I  use the smaller wire .. .029 and smaller in SS & Music wire. This is in  My Finesse Spinner Bait  .. mostly 1/4 oz. size but go 1/8 either way  ...  Catch a lot of fish on one .. with some "rough" stuff such as Mudfish and Eastern Chain Pickerel  ...    My Utility Spinner Baits are .031  ..   Found out many years ago that a lot of the time you have to go to the lighter wire for more vibration and what ever else it does.

Back as a Wholesale Jobber Salesman I noticed in one of the best Spinner Bait areas that a certain Spinner Bait was going real good ... Sure enough it was lighter wire than the standard wire most used.  Good to have the "Sounding Block" to confirm what I had found out long before   ..  Those Boys in that area knew how to spinner bait fish .. Stream or Lake and were real savvy on what blades to use as well  .. they tinkered with them a lot.

• Like 1

When Revenge came out with their deep runner spinnerbaits, with the hidden body weight, the wire they used was thinner, and they broke very easily.  Either the wire was too weak to begin with, or the added vibration weakened the wire, from repeated bending where the wire came out of the head.

I stopped throwing them because they were so fragile.

Added 2 cents   ...  The heavier the lure the heavier the wire  ..  that's why on the smaller I concentrate more on the 1/4 oz. and less and on occasions use it on 3/8 oz.

You will get far more bending of the wire on the heavier  .. You do have to watch/feel for when the wire softens when re bending it.

I have heard of some commercially produced ones breaking easily and I think it is the wire they are using  .. have no idea as to the problem (temper & etc.)

I have stated before and still believe thinner wire does NOT attract more fish, at least not through vibration. Thinner wire moves around more and absorbs the vibration. Stiffer wire transmits the vibration and sends a stronger signal.

The same way a fiberglass rod that is more flexible doesn't equal more sensitity. A stiffer, lighter rod "shakes" less, but transmits more vibration to your hand.

Stephen

• Like 1

Just to throw a little more into this.

In this photo is how I build one to keep down as much chance of break as I can.

The Weakest Point is where the form wire enters the lead as this is where most of the

bending takes place  .. The Old "Safety Pin" type coil eye has no sharp bends.

Sharp bends are one of the biggest breakage points.  I think the "Coil Eye" might

produce more vibration with this lighter wire. (the photo is not the best  .. That is not paint

on the wire)

SpinnerBaitLightWire.jpg

SpinnerBaitLightWire.jpg

SpinnerBaitLightWire.jpg

SpinnerBaitLightWire.jpg

SpinnerBaitLightWire.jpg

SpinnerBaitLightWire.jpg

SpinnerBaitLightWire.jpg

SpinnerBaitLightWire.jpg

post-16634-0-99211100-1436372214_thumb.jpg

Edited by JSC

I just talked to a guy at Picasso lures, they too use a .032 heat treated  wire, they tested .029 and found the lack of durability for the slightly extra vibration wasn't worth it. They also watched Revenge go to the same heat treated .032 after they had complaints of baits failing after 1 fish or breaking on large fish. I agree with JSC, 1/4oz bait I could see with .029, not 1/2oz, and after using .032 for a while, I feel I can achieve the same vibration using .035 and therefore have a more durable bait with very good vibration.