mark poulson

Ac1315 Update

I gave these lures two dips about an hour apart and let them hang out side for more than 24 hours probably 18 hrs of sunlight. I fished it and another one with small colorado blades for a couple of hours dragging and swimming them on long rocky gravel points. After examining them, I see that I have lost an eye on each one of them, I never noticed this yesterday. I also see that the two remaining eyes are scuffed up and not nearly as bright and clear as they were when I put them on. Nor is the coating  on the lure as bright and clear as it was.

The Kalin Lunker Grub has been on this lure for about 23 hours now and examining it, I see no evidence of the grub having a reaction with the AC1315. Next, I slid the grub off of the head, I saw little hair like strings of the plastic stretching from the inside of the hole where the shank of the head was pushed inside the grub. So, It was/is having some kind of a reaction with the plastic grub like Mark said. 

As Mark said, I will give the clear nail polish a try on the next ones I make.

John

John,

Thanks for the pics.

If you are just doing a few spinnerbait and underspin heads, why not just use the clear nail polish, without the AC1315?  I do that, with Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails clear, and it works great.  It is very hard, and it goes on faster than epoxy.

I use it for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and even jigs, after I've powder coated them.  I find that adding glitter to clear nail polish and then painting the coated jig head with it adds glitter that stays until I lose the jig.

Edited by mark poulson

I have been using ac1315 on a few swimbaits,and have been airbrushing 2 to 3 light coats on the lure, drying with a hair dryer for 2 to 3 minutes between coats, and then a heavy coat airbrushed on the lure. I use a Badger bottom feed. If I want a deeper finish, I then dip them, and so far, no cracking paint, as I had prior to light coating the lure first.

Wish I could say the swimbait issues were going as well as the painting, but I'm getting some great info here.

• Like 1

I know this is a really old/talked about topic, but i have been reading on the AC1315 for a long time now and am ready to buy some but just wanted to know if it is really that hard, and if it is somewhat flexible if i wanted to put it on big peices of painted lexan to seal coat or on spinner blades and such. if not maybe something else that would fit the bill, Etex is also out of the question because it takes too long to dry and sags for this application. Im also currently using Solarez and that works great but it is not flexible and i dont like it on my cranks for the final clear coat. Thanks guys!

To me it seems to remain somewhat flexible.  That is to say, when I've peeled it off a surface, it comes off in a thin, flexible sheet a lot of the time.  And I've had it bubble on a crankbait, and those bubbles will collapse when punctured and go back to flat.

It's designed to seal concrete, which is rigid, but also expands and contract with changes in temperature, so I guess it has to have some give.

Concrete is also porous, so there is a mechanical bond possible.

I don't know how well it will bond with metal blades.

There are other coating specifically make for coating blades, like Dick Nite's urethane.  I understand he designed his urethane specifically for coating spoons and blades.

I've had great luck coating spinnerbait blades with nail polish, as long as I clean the blades first by wiping them down with acetone.

Edited by mark poulson

ok, Thanks! is it hard as nails? i have some reclaimed concrete sealer that i can dent with my fingernail after many months of curing and want new stuff that is semi flexible yet real hard. I looked into the DN but i was worried id have to use it up fast and use bloxygen and i honestly cant justify that since i might top coat baits maybe once every 2 weeks and it would probably take me a while to go through it. i might just have to try the nail polish, we have plenty of that around ;). but with that said i might have to buy my own, or do it when the girls arent around :lol:

ok, Thanks! is it hard as nails? i have some reclaimed concrete sealer that i can dent with my fingernail after many months of curing and want new stuff that is semi flexible yet real hard. I looked into the DN but i was worried id have to use it up fast and use bloxygen and i honestly cant justify that since i might top coat baits maybe once every 2 weeks and it would probably take me a while to go through it. i might just have to try the nail polish, we have plenty of that around ;). but with that said i might have to buy my own, or do it when the girls arent around :lol:

If they're like my daughters, they will share, but only the butt ugly colors!

• Like 1

Thants the problem, i dont really want to paint my blades brown, creme, or brown orange :P i might look into getting DN too if it has lasted that long for you Ben. thanks for the replies!

If you need a refresher course in the "tap the can" method just holler and I'll walk you through it.

Ben

Mark i might just have to! i wonder the looks id get buying out walmart of all those bright tacky colors. maybe i should just order them. hahaha. As, for tapping the can, i think i remember but if i do end up getting DN instead of AC1315 ill ask just so i dont screw it up bad :D. Thanks guys! now i have options. 

AC1315 on the way! of course now im mad at myself that i didnt get one day shipping because im sitting on edge with boredom waiting for it to come. im the meantime i did sneak some nail polish onto a spinner blade so ill let it dry and see how it looks. so far it looks great, Thanks mark for the idea! now all i have to do is not get caught, I think if i do though i will say im trying their hobbies too (in conjunction with mine of course) :lol:

Thanks guys for letting me bust in with so many questions on an old forum, all were greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

I got it and have been playing around with it for a while. On my first 2 baits i dipped they both wrinkled bad but one was way worse than the other. One i left be and the other i stripped and re-painted. The colors affected were white with some added pearl powder, orange made from red and yellow, and green(Createx). Black wasnt affected at all on the lures. I also used it on some nail polish painted spoons and they worked out great. On the lure i didnt strip, the wrinkles settled down a bit but are still noticeable. So i decided id try some different variables. On my batch today i really scuffed up the lures before i painted, and even used some createx clear gloss to seal them. oh and i tried modge podge on one i painted a long time ago but never cleared, (the modge podge wrinkled it. im guessing it wasnt scuffed up enough) My spoons turned out great, and most of the cranks didnt wrinkle but one did. I think i dipped it in for too long so ill remember to dip fast. 

im going to try the pledge stuff but am not exactly sure which one is being reffered to so im going to keep looking for it. 

Other than that i love this stuff so far! thanks guys!

Jonister - what temperature are you storing the can?

My thoughts are that the dip is going on too thick. If the storage temperature is too cool, this will cause the dip thickness to be too much.

Try storing the tin in a warm part of the house over night.

Just an idea, but I think worth trying.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

I will try that vodkamen, thanks! it has been pretty warm here but it gets kinda cold at night. It was about room temperature and it was flowing very very well, but anything is worth a try. I also noticed serious running with the sharpies so now i have figure out how to stop that. maybe the pledge will help. i use sharpies to much on lures to have it running real bad. Also, does anyone know the exact kind of pledge used? So many questions but still figuring it out. Thanks guys for helping!

"Pledge tile and vinyl floor finish with future" is what my bottle says.

It is a fairly hard acrylic floor finish.  It can also seize up your airbrush needle if you don't clean it after spraying.  Whether it will keep AC1315 from causing Sharpie to run??

I tried multiple things today, first, i started with 2 white baits because white had the worst peeling, then i wrote all over them in sharpies to see if the heat gun would help with the running. After the can sat in a heat box for a good 4 hours i took it out and quickly dipped each bait. Ther was no wrinkling noticed so it might have helped, but i did note is that the viscosity hadnt changed from how it was before or hadnt seemed to have changed from being in the box. either way, the heat gun does make it flash off even faster but the sharpie still ran a bit so now im maybe going to hit the store tomorrow and pick up some Pledge to try. I fixed the wrinkling but not the sharpie running. if it comes down to it i will just not use sharpie or will coat with solarez as i did before and just give them a single dip in AC1315 for shine. So far im getting this stuff somewhat figured out, Thanks guys for all the help!

I have good luck shooting a coat of Createx Clear Gloss over the sharpies before I dip them.  Red and chartreuse are the two worst sharpie colors for me.

But the best tip is what BobV said.  I dip fast.  In and out.  Just slow enough to be sure everything gets coated.  Because they hang, it does seem to coat everything anyway, as long as I immerse the entire bait. 

I let them drip off over the jar, blot the remaining excess off the bottom with a paper towel, and then hit them with a hair dryer a couple of times in the first hour.  That lets me dip them again after an hour.

Edited by mark poulson

So far my baits are out of the heat box and i really love it! Ac 1315 has to be one of my new favorite topcoats all around. I have been wondering though how hard its going to get. currently i can barely dent it with my nail and was wondering how hard it gets. is this about how hard it gets, or will it get harder, like devcon or solarez? i am very pleased with this stuff either way as it is also very very versitile and plays nicely on my spoons and other prodjects. I plan on having alot more fun with it.